Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.3.0.0 64 bit, ALT+Tab / Loss of focus causes black scene
Running in Fullscreen.

When I alt+tab out of the application or it otherwise looses focus, when I get back into Gear City the Scene Window will be black. Changing rooms etc. has no further effect.
Top and bottom menus are still visible as well as the Reports/ Menus they open.

Gear City "Classic" does not have this issue.

What operating system? What rendering engine are you using? If you wait for a couple of seconds does the video come back? There should be a 1 or 2-second delay using DirectX9 before it restarts rendering everything on the screen. If you are using DirectX, switch to OpenGL if you're going to alt-tab out of full screen. Microsoft did not design DirectX9 to allow alt-tabbing. If you recall about 20 years ago, games would crash or not allow you to alt-tab out of full screen. That's the same technology. OpenGL shouldn't have this problem.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I duplicated the issue on my only Windows (10) bare metal machine. It does not happen in a VM. And it works fine on Linux.

OpenGL in Windows 10 and OSX 12 is not letting you switch windows.

A workaround is to use a borderless window. On Windows, this works only with DirectX9. You must set it using the external settings editor.

I suspect the Ogre14 library upgrades funded in Milestone #3 have caused issues with their Windows window creation. The maintainers of Ogre depreciated in favor of using other libraries some years ago. Bounty #96 addresses it on Windows. I will take a look next time I get around to bulk bug fixes to see if I can get it working. I can't guarantee full screen on Windows with the upgraded engine libraries short of that bounty.

The OpenGL3, DirectX11, Vulkan, or software rendering bounties may also resolve the issue for those respective renderers.

(For Mac, it should be working, as we're using GLFW. I suspect the same reason OpenGL Alt-tab is not working in Windows is the same as Mac. So, I may be able to resolve that one.)
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(02-11-2024, 01:18 AM)Eric.B Wrote: I duplicated the issue on my only Windows (10) bare metal machine. It does not happen in a VM. And it works fine on Linux.

OpenGL in Windows 10 and OSX 12 is not letting you switch windows.

A workaround is to use a borderless window. On Windows, this works only with DirectX9. You must set it using the external settings editor.

I suspect the Ogre14 library upgrades funded in Milestone #3 have caused issues with their Windows window creation. The maintainers of Ogre depreciated in favor of using other libraries some years ago. Bounty #96 addresses it on Windows. I will take a look next time I get around to bulk bug fixes to see if I can get it working. I can't guarantee full screen on Windows with the upgraded engine libraries short of that bounty.

The OpenGL3, DirectX11, Vulkan, or software rendering bounties may also resolve the issue for those respective renderers.   

(For Mac, it should be working, as we're using GLFW. I suspect the same reason OpenGL Alt-tab is not working in Windows is the same as Mac. So, I may be able to resolve that one.)

Yes Windows 10.

And yes it is likely from Milestone #3 changes. This issue didn't present itself prior.

Borderless Window has never worked for me honestly.

Selection either or and Fullscreen and/or Borderless Window options for DirectX in the Video Settings editor  and saving will generate a successfull save message, and will still be selected if I exit and restart the Video Settings Editor, but it will still not be selectable in the Game Settings when starting GC.

With OpenGL Fullscreen this issue does not exist, but it will not truly alt+tab (application stays on top, which is alright by me)
(02-11-2024, 11:10 AM)Rashi Wrote: Borderless Window has never worked for me honestly.

Selection either or and Fullscreen and/or Borderless Window options for DirectX in the Video Settings editor  and saving will generate a successfull save message, and will still be selected if I exit and restart the Video Settings Editor, but it will still not be selectable in the Game Settings when starting GC.

So using the external settings editor: https://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php?id=g...ngs_editor

If you disable the full screen, enable borderless window, and have it set to DirectX9. Then save. You don't get a full-screen window?

It being broken in the game is a known issue that keeps not getting addressed, so I will look into that. In fact, I think I fixed it at some point, but then some code got overwritten and it regressed. That's the problem with maintaining so many different variants of the game.

Quote:With OpenGL Fullscreen this issue does not exist, but it will not truly alt+tab (application stays on top, which is alright by me)
Yup, the window does not minimize or go into the background. I believe the folks at Ogre may have changed their Window management stuff. They want folks to use a third-party library instead of Ogre managing it. Anyway, I plan to try minimizing the window manually when the focus is lost while in full-screen mode. But I don't think this is a game-breaking issue, so I'll try it when I do bulk bug fixes instead of losing a day+ of AeroMogul time solely on this issue. It's hard to bounce between two projects. I need to get my mind into Airplane mode. Smile
Quote:So using the external settings editor: https://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php?id=g...ngs_editor

If you disable the full screen, enable borderless window, and have it set to DirectX9. Then save. You don't get a full-screen window?

It being broken in the game is a known issue that keeps not getting addressed, so I will look into that. In fact, I think I fixed it at some point, but then some code got overwritten and it regressed. That's the problem with maintaining so many different variants of the game.

Actually , yes it does work in Borderless Fullscreen Window mode then. (Just tried again paid attention to this detail)
It does however not reflect in the games settings menu.

Rather minor confusion then Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)