Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting Scenario Requests/Suggestions
Following on from no5 suggestion in this thread:
http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1057
As well as some of my own suggestions in other threads in the past...
I thought it would be a good idea to start a combined thread on suggestions for starting scenarios.
Ive also started another thread on Goals/Objectives here, sparked by Frankschtaldt's idea in the second post.

When i talk about scenarios im talking about different options you can choose at the start of the game which vary:
-Your company, its skills, infrastructure and financial position.
-The world mostly through city statistics like fuel prices

This is mostly to create some kind of interesting flavour/variation or to create some extra challenge.
They can be things you'd like to see implemented or even scenarios which could be modded in .

I can start off by saying that im sure ive suggested before, perhaps as a mod, to have a scenario where the price of fuel across the world is really high, forcing you to make really fuel efficient vehicles.

Another one ive suggested before is starting off with different levels of skill in your R&D department.
So for example, you could be a really innovate engine design company that starts with access to 6/8 cylinder and V designs in 1900. Or you could have the same kind of advantage in Gearbox or Chassis design.

Another option would be to start off with a lot of marketing skill, perhaps your team spent the last 20 years in one of the largest (not-automotive related) companies in the world.

edit: Heres another one i posted later on:
- Mass production start (this one would suit me)
- Luxury start

These change the starting stats of your factory to be either high capacity low quality (mass production start) or low capacity high quality(luxury start).
in order to balance it i imagine you would start with marginally less money.
This would suit different play styles and different starting strategies in the game. At the moment your often left with having to demolish or resize the factories later for that purpose, but i imagine if you started the company with that aim, you could do it from the start.

Feel free to share some you think are interesting. They dont necessarily have to be practical, we are just brainstorming ideas here.
I think there is a lot of potential to increase the replayability of the game with stuff like this. I think random history has been mentioned a few time but starting the game with the players choice of change to the world is a great idea that I think would add even more.
I will try to put some suggestions for this kind of scenario later.

But first...

Another type of scenario I'd like to see would be the "here are the perimeters of the game. Now try and meet this goal"
For a couple of quick examples:
- Start in 1969 and buy out Sheevy before the game ends.
- Start in 1920 with a factory in Tokyo. You can't build factories in this game. Reach a total of $1B deposited in your bank to win"
- Start the game in 1942 with this failing German brand (have a poorly set up/maintained dealer network and a crap factory with two bad cars no one wants and a bank debt). Pay off your bank debt to win.

Perhaps the two types of scenarios could be combined? Choose to save the German brand but apply the "really expensive fuel" modifier.
(03-31-2014, 09:22 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: I think there is a lot of potential to increase the replayability of the game with stuff like this. I think random history has been mentioned a few time but starting the game with the players choice of change to the world is a great idea that I think would add even more.
I will try to put some suggestions for this kind of scenario later.

But first...

Another type of scenario I'd like to see would be the "here are the perimeters of the game. Now try and meet this goal"
For a couple of quick examples:
- Start in 1969 and buy out Sheevy before the game ends.
- Start in 1920 with a factory in Tokyo. You can't build factories in this game. Reach a total of $1B deposited in your bank to win"
- Start the game in 1942 with this failing German brand (have a poorly set up/maintained dealer network and a crap factory with two bad cars no one wants and a bank debt). Pay off your bank debt to win.

Perhaps the two types of scenarios could be combined? Choose to save the German brand but apply the "really expensive fuel" modifier.
Thats a really good point/
Having objectives is something really common in a lot of games and a direction that Eric could go in if he wanted.
I think it would definitely work in this type of game.
I would suggest calling what you were talking about "modes" and my suggestion "scenarios". Or, alternatively "scenarios" and "goals" though I think the first one works better.

I think they shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Not as a general rule. Some would make sense to limit. A scenario to win 3 racing seasons with an electric car wouldn't really work combined with an expensive fuel mode, for example.
I think im tempted to make an entire new thread for objective ideas.
These could be implemented in a number of different ways, which could be discussed there.
Ill try to get around to making that thread today. Edit : here it is http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1461

For now, ive got another starting Scenario idea.
- Mass production start (this one would suit me)
- Luxury start

These change the starting stats of your factory to be either high capacity low quality (mass production start) or low capacity high quality(luxury start).
in order to balance it i imagine you would start with marginally less money.
This would suit different play styles and different starting strategies in the game. At the moment your often left with having to demolish or resize the factories later for that purpose, but i imagine if you started the company with that aim, you could do it from the start.
You could base some scenario on these real events as well (with changed names of course):
British Leyland crisis in the late 70-s
Start up of Volkswagen
The japanese car-makers entering the US.