Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] [$400] #163 | More Fuel Types
It would be nice if this bounty could also adds different octane ratings for gasoline and seperate gasoline into leaded and unleaded category. This would also bring more detail into emission system.
(07-17-2023, 12:24 PM)raichuP Wrote: It would be nice if this bounty could also adds different octane ratings for gasoline and seperate gasoline into leaded and unleaded category. This would also bring more detail into emission system.

There are two problems with adding octane ratings to gasoline. The first problem is selection paralysis. Given too many options, players will have a difficult time selecting one. The second problem is that the majority of vehicles can utilize a broad range of octanes. Gasoline alone has a 20 AKI rating spread between high and low. So I am not sure how much that would add to the game.

So if you want that fine of detail, it is probably better via the mod system and popularity share between the types.

As for TEL, this one makes a little more sense to add.

So perhaps a way to go about it would be Gasoline, Premium Gasoline, and Leaded Gasoline. That removes the need for the player to choose through several AKI ratings and still gives you a spread. The only other problem I see is this will require an additional variable in the buyer rating system for operating costs. So I will debate with myself about adding this idea to its own bounty, as it will require a bit more work.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(07-17-2023, 12:55 PM)Eric.B Wrote: There are two problems with adding octane ratings to gasoline. The first problem is selection paralysis. Given too many options, players will have a difficult time selecting one. The second problem is that the majority of vehicles can utilize a broad range of octanes. Gasoline alone has a 20 AKI rating spread between high and low. So I am not sure how much that would add to the game.

So if you want that fine of detail, it is probably better via the mod system and popularity share between the types.

As for TEL, this one makes a little more sense to add.

So perhaps a way to go about it would be Gasoline, Premium Gasoline, and Leaded Gasoline. That removes the need for the player to choose through several AKI ratings and still gives you a spread. The only other problem I see is this will require an additional variable in the buyer rating system for operating costs. So I will debate with myself about adding this idea to its own bounty, as it will require a bit more work.

You are right, I completely forgot that engine's required octane ratings are upward compatible! However, I would still suggest adding "low-quality gasoline" as an option somewhere mid-game as this could be a useful feature for entering market of under-developed countries. AFAIK 80 RON (76 AKI) gas was still being used in some CIS countries until mid-2010s and Egypt is still using them now.
I've added this request in two bounties. An operating cost buyer rating: https://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=4493 and a fuel grade selection: https://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=4492
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski

[-]
Quick Reply