Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speciffic marketin
Apologies if this has already been discussed.... Just point me to that thread if you can find it =)

This thread got me thinking about the effectiveness of advertising specific models vs just broad base advertising.
Generally I do both but I find myself wondering if it's really worth doing more than the broad base advertising when your marque has 16 different models with another 6 on the way.

Has anyone played around with this? Do you need to advertise specific models to be effective or is broad base advertising just as effective?
Generally speaking, i manage it through the marketing cost per unit screen in the expenses part of the sales book. Depending on how many models your selling, you may have to do some calculation in your head too.
Again generally, im quite happy to pay $10-20 per unit on advertising, and in some cases up to 50 or more depending on the specific strategy im pursuing.
The last thing i look at (more recently) has been the marketing effectiveness report which was recently implemented. Based on that, lately ive maxed out newspapers for most cities and models that im selling any more than 20-50 units of. I tend to only spend more on billboards and other forms for my best selling lines that are selling in large quantities and only in large cities like london.

So short answer to is "marketing for specific models effective"? In the current model i think you would be mad not to max newspapers early on unless you are selling less than 20-30 units of a specific model. (and you might even do it in that case if its a high margin vehicle)
But how does it compare to broad base marketing?

For example, if I have 10 different cars I'm trying to sell am I going to get more bang for my buck by spending $10 on specific marketing for each or $100 in broad base?
(02-02-2014, 08:23 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: But how does it compare to broad base marketing?

For example, if I have 10 different cars I'm trying to sell am I going to get more bang for my buck by spending $10 on specific marketing for each or $100 in broad base?

I cant say ive ever done a clear test of this, so i couldn't tell you which is more effective.
That said, from my experience ingame, ive found generally that increased amounts of marketing has large effects on sales, so i usually do both.

On Newspapers specifically:
Considering how cheap they are, and how effective they are suggested to be in marketing effectiveness reports, i dont see any reason not to max it in most cases.
E.g. In 1917 game im in
Newspapers is 150 per model
150 for broad base.
So a maximum of 300, or lower if your selling other models.
Even selling only 20 units, thats maximum of $15 per unit, which is practically nothing.
Once I've finished my current game I might start a new one to do some testing on this and let you know how I go. Assuming someone else doesn't answer it first.
Broad Base (I'll probably rename it to "Brand Marketing" someday) improves the sales of all your vehicles, but not as much as specificity targeted marketing. It also improves company image more so than specific marketing. Wink
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
So, I guess the crux of my question is: is it really worth specific marketing for every car you sell or is specific marketing supposed to be a top up for struggling models?

Based off your last answer I'm guessing it is worth doing specific marketing for every model but probably shouldn't spend as much on it as the broad base marketing?
That depends on a lot of factors. Such as competition and saturation. It really depends on how you want to manage your company. Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Fair enough.
I guess I'll just have to do some trial and error =)