Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model/component design year and age
This could lead onto a suggestion but I'll start with a question.

Currently, components and vehicles are both aged by the year the design work started on them and not the year they were actually released.

We already know that components deteriorate as they age. Does this process start with the year the item is designed (the displayed age) or the year it is actually released?

I know for a lot of components it generally doesn't matter unless you start work on them late in the year but a lot of vehicles take longer than a year to design. I've had a limo that took over two years from start to finish in one game I played.

In real life and I'm assuming in later game, it takes a lot longer than 2 years to fully design and prepare a vehicle for release.

I guess what I'm getting at is if things are the way they appear, many vehicles you release have stated deteriorating before they even hit the market.
(04-03-2014, 03:16 AM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: This could lead onto a suggestion but I'll start with a question.

Currently, components and vehicles are both aged by the year the design work started on them and not the year they were actually released.

We already know that components deteriorate as they age. Does this process start with the year the item is designed (the displayed age) or the year it is actually released?

I know for a lot of components it generally doesn't matter unless you start work on them late in the year but a lot of vehicles take longer than a year to design. I've had a limo that took over two years from start to finish in one game I played.

In real life and I'm assuming in later game, it takes a lot longer than 2 years to fully design and prepare a vehicle for release.

I guess what I'm getting at is if things are the way they appear, many vehicles you release have stated deteriorating before they even hit the market.
I suspect that this is true and actually a reflection of real life challenges during design processes.
Its not necessarily possible to integrate every new development/advancement into a design that is already partly complete without sacrificing more time.
Its probably a lot worse in tech fields that change very rapidly.
(04-03-2014, 03:45 AM)Arakash Wrote: I suspect that this is true and actually a reflection of real life challenges during design processes.
Its not necessarily possible to integrate every new development/advancement into a design that is already partly complete without sacrificing more time.
Its probably a lot worse in tech fields that change very rapidly.

Yes and no. Spending more time on development of a car is in 95% of cases going to result in a better, more modern car with fewer problems. Obviously within reason.

Mercedes cut their development cycle (as in, time spent on completing one model including it's numerous engine, gearbox and interior layouts) from 7 years back to 4 years in the mid 90's and as a result had major quality problems for a couple of generations. The shorter development time had a significant effect on the refinement and readiness of their finished cars. They've refined the process now and ironed out most of the kinks but they're still not as far ahead of everyone else as they used to be, not by a long shot. Their prices are now mostly based off the name they developed during the years they spend 7 years making sure a car was ready.