Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Early Marketing Years Question
I see that in the early years there are about only 3 options: newspapers, billboards, and magazines. Which of these has a greater reach into the consumer base?

I would think Newspapers, then magazines, with little in the way of billboards. In the early years there is not going to be many improved roads and not sure that billboards would really be effective.

I ask because if I want to dedicate a specific budget I want to know where I am getting the most bang for my buck. I don't really see that now... I am just blindly setting sliders to spend marketing money without knowing how effective they are.
(01-14-2014, 07:32 PM)geozero Wrote: I see that in the early years there are about only 3 options: newspapers, billboards, and magazines. Which of these has a greater reach into the consumer base?

I would think Newspapers, then magazines, with little in the way of billboards. In the early years there is not going to be many improved roads and not sure that billboards would really be effective.

I ask because if I want to dedicate a specific budget I want to know where I am getting the most bang for my buck. I don't really see that now... I am just blindly setting sliders to spend marketing money without knowing how effective they are.

You said there are 3 options, but what about Miscellaneous, Events and Sporting?

On effectiveness:
One thing i noted under the new reports in 1.11, the marketing effectiveness report says the Newspapers are initially far more effective than any other form of advertising.
I don't know what Misc is and again without knowing where or how the funds are used it is pointless to drop money there. Events and Sporting I have not used much and I don't think that comes into play really until the 1920's in real life. Maybe even later. I have not entered any races and don't see what the cost/benefit is in these areas.

So I still think newspapers are KING for advertisements in early 1900's, followed by magazines and then by billboards. I would think billboards begin to play a greater part after the 1930s.

It would be nice to have a pop-up that shows you how many people are reached for every dollar spent in any given category. I can see New York Newspapers reaching a million people a day. That's an area worth advertising in. A billboard that only has potential of 5000 people to view it would not be cost effective dollar for dollar.

That's the sort of business data I would like to see.
(01-14-2014, 09:05 PM)geozero Wrote: I don't know what Misc is and again without knowing where or how the funds are used it is pointless to drop money there. Events and Sporting I have not used much and I don't think that comes into play really until the 1920's in real life. Maybe even later. I have not entered any races and don't see what the cost/benefit is in these areas.

So I still think newspapers are KING for advertisements in early 1900's, followed by magazines and then by billboards. I would think billboards begin to play a greater part after the 1930s.

It would be nice to have a pop-up that shows you how many people are reached for every dollar spent in any given category. I can see New York Newspapers reaching a million people a day. That's an area worth advertising in. A billboard that only has potential of 5000 people to view it would not be cost effective dollar for dollar.

That's the sort of business data I would like to see.

Judging from the marketing reports ive seen in the early game, it doesn't look like there is much difference in effectiveness between things like sporting/events and billboards/magazines. i.e. both are not very effective.

I also dont share your uncertainty about "Miscellaneous". It makes sense to me that there are plenty of other types of advertising that are not listed normally but are still effective.

Im not sure if its implemented ingame, but i imagine their level of use by companies would change how effective they are.
For example, billboards may have not been in use until later, but if a company decided to innovate by going into billboards early, that could start a trend.
Sporting is a good example, its a natural choice for marketing that could've been adopted early, even without radio/tv.