Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stocks, Mergers and Takeovers
Another question on the stock and business model.

I decided to buy stocks from local companies in my area which had declining stock prices. My thinking on this was that the income stream that the companies made on my stock purchase would allow them to stay afloat, but my better cars, production, etc. would still make me the #1 company in the region. Then when I had enough stock I could buy them outright.... or could I? It seems that I was stuck at buying 75% of all open shares for a company. I am not sure how to buy out a company and take control.... I see the TAKEOVER button but that seems like a cheat to take another company's cash and assets and roll them into yours. I want to do a hostile takeover the good old fashion way... Smile

I also did not see the way to do a merger where two companies decide collectively to become one, whether or not each Marquees is kept or rolled into one... if this is modeled I did not see how to do it. If not, it would be cool to see. A friendly merger could be a cool thing... maybe the controlling company fires you as CEO? That would be a cool end game scenario... just saying.

man I love the game...
(01-10-2014, 02:45 PM)geozero Wrote: Another question on the stock and business model.

I decided to buy stocks from local companies in my area which had declining stock prices. My thinking on this was that the income stream that the companies made on my stock purchase would allow them to stay afloat, but my better cars, production, etc. would still make me the #1 company in the region. Then when I had enough stock I could buy them outright.... or could I? It seems that I was stuck at buying 75% of all open shares for a company. I am not sure how to buy out a company and take control.... I see the TAKEOVER button but that seems like a cheat to take another company's cash and assets and roll them into yours. I want to do a hostile takeover the good old fashion way... Smile

I also did not see the way to do a merger where two companies decide collectively to become one, whether or not each Marquees is kept or rolled into one... if this is modeled I did not see how to do it. If not, it would be cool to see. A friendly merger could be a cool thing... maybe the controlling company fires you as CEO? That would be a cool end game scenario... just saying.

man I love the game...

I think i remember reading the description of this in a post by Eric in one of the threads, but im not sure which one it is.

My understanding is that when you press the takeover button a vote occurs based on the price you set.
Any shares you own you will always vote automatically yes for a takeover. With shares of your own company you will always vote no.

Practically i assume this means:
- If you own less than 50% of the shares, then there is some chance involved in whether they will accept the price you offer in the takeover. I assume there is a chance it may never happen.

- If you own more than 50%, then you automatically vote yes for your part, so its guaranteed success and usually a lot cheaper as you dont have to buy a whole bunch of shares.
The only method of takeover is the standard buy out offer. You offer an amount per share, the stock holders vote, 50.1% gets you a merger. All assists are merged together. Minus duplicated factories in cities.

The AI is weak in 1.10, it'll be much harder to buy companies in 1.11.

(I think I broke the stock evaluation somewhere too, I had a few 28 Trillion dollar companies not to long ago :| )
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
So if I own more than 50% I can take over? How? The takeover button? I can do that and put in "0" dollars and take over a company at no cost and acquire the other company's cash and assets. (in easy mode that is).

I have 75% of stock in one company. it will not let me buy anymore stock in that company and I did not take over. Does that mean that the shareholder (a minority interest of 25%) has the power to vote me down?

I cannot wait for 1.11... also will play a new game (#7) at a higher level.
1) Yes, I believe you can do that.

2) If you own more than 50% there should be no way anyone can vote you down. If they do, it's a bug.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Eric I am going to look at that again and see if I can detect a bug. If I can confirm my suspicions what is the best method to report it here. I can send screenshots but need to email them as there is no upload and I cannot attach them to an URL. Please advise.
(01-11-2014, 12:07 PM)geozero Wrote: Eric I am going to look at that again and see if I can detect a bug. If I can confirm my suspicions what is the best method to report it here. I can send screenshots but need to email them as there is no upload and I cannot attach them to an URL. Please advise.

To upload a picture just hit add reply on the bottom right. Click "choose" down below where it says attachments, then select your picture. And finally hit update attachment (might do it automagically)!

If you can't do that we have another bug! biggrin