Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add some luxury features to vehicle designing
(02-15-2014, 01:37 PM)girao Wrote: This is just a few ideas how to make the game more complex for the people that really love cars.

in other things it can be possible to chose the engine be build in steel, iron or aluminum and other tings...
I think you might benefit from looking at this thread which discussed adding in various engine options and the level of complexity in Gearcity in general.
It also mentioned the game called Automation, which goes into that level of detail on car engines and vehicles in general. (it actually does ask for the type of material used in construction)

I really encourage you to go have a read of it before posting further on the topic as its extremely relevant to the topic you were discussing, specifically the different engine materials.

Once youve looked at that thread, ill summarise a general point i believe i made there:
A higher level of complexity is not automatically desirable or wanted, you have to justify it, as it can have serious consequences.
One of the consequences relevant to me personally is that it can create barriers for people like me who do not have extensive engineering/engine knowledge, which is a problem i have with the Automation game.
If you've ever played a Hardcore Wargame along the lines of War in the East/War in the Pacific, you'll be aware of the large sacrifices to gameplay/useability that a game with no limit to its complexity makes.
i have read and yes the goal is to make the game easy for people that only wanna play a management game, that's the reason i said to have the option of casual mode or hardcore mode when making a car.
however i realize the amount of work needed to do it, but i believe as a expiation pack or something like that would be a good thing...

A technician game if not well made is some times almost impossible to play but whit good players feedback it could be made...
(02-15-2014, 10:49 PM)girao Wrote: however i realize the amount of work needed to do it, but i believe as a expiation pack or something like that would be a good thing...
We definitely agree on this.

I raised earlier the possibility it could be added in as some kind of option for modding, which i think might be an ideal situation, letting people add in the number of components/luxury features they want for their own desired level of complexity.
From what Eric has said on IRC, i think that you can mod in your own components in general, but not luxury features as tickboxes which sounds like what would be wanted here.
Im not overly clear on the details there.
You can already mod in components as of right now, I've done it many times.
Modding luxuary features in with tickboxes, however, would surely require a substantial developmental effort - in fact so substantial that Eric may just as well put it all in himself and make the option toggleable, so I doubt that's the way to go. Something similar already exists with the attachments such as LSDs or Overdrive functions, so maybe that could be expanded.
(02-16-2014, 08:34 AM)freeman2344 Wrote: You can already mod in components as of right now, I've done it many times.
Modding luxuary features in with tickboxes, however, would surely require a substantial developmental effort - in fact so substantial that Eric may just as well put it all in himself and make the option toggleable, so I doubt that's the way to go. Something similar already exists with the attachments such as LSDs or Overdrive functions, so maybe that could be expanded.
I do remember asking him about it on IRC at one point, but i really cant remember his exact words on it.

Edit: I deleted all this, because i really dont think theres anything to be gained from a a number of back and forth posts with a lot of guesses, when we can easily just get direct answers.
We should just ask Eric
1. How he thinks it could be implemented (tickboxes, or some other way)
2. How practical it is to have it as moddable vs a regular feature
(02-16-2014, 08:47 AM)Arakash Wrote: 2. How practical it is to have it as moddable vs a regular feature

Having a game open to modding is always nice, see in GTA series mooding is funny and is one of the best advertising things because people will wanna show what they made, i see a lot of times nice modding in games i 9GAG and a lot of people see them...
(02-16-2014, 09:24 AM)girao Wrote:
(02-16-2014, 08:47 AM)Arakash Wrote: 2. How practical it is to have it as moddable vs a regular feature

Having a game open to modding is always nice, see in GTA series mooding is funny and is one of the best advertising things because people will wanna show what they made, i see a lot of times nice modding in games i 9GAG and a lot of people see them...
I definitely agree.
One of my favourite examples is the Grand Strategy game Crusader Kings 2. After several expansions, it has tonnes of small mods, several absolutely huge balance/improvement mods and a couple of massive Overhaul mods, such as the Famous Game of Thrones mod.
Its really quite impressive what a dedicated modding team with a highly moddable game can do.
My Steam says ive played 500+ hours of that game Tongue
Essentially I'll look into this at a future date. I may possibly put it up for a vote.

If I had to implement it, I would make it another button in the vehicle designer. This button will bring up a window full of check boxes. Adjusting the sliders will automatically check the boxes and checking the boxes will automatically adjust the sliders.

Personally I'm not in favor of the idea, but it would be possible to implement with being encumbering.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(02-16-2014, 12:25 PM)Eric.B Wrote: If I had to implement it, I would make it another button in the vehicle designer. This button will bring up a window full of check boxes. Adjusting the sliders will automatically check the boxes and checking the boxes will automatically adjust the sliders.

If this is how it were to be implemented (ie; not actually changing anything about the way the game works but adding a visual representation of what the sliders mean for tose that want it) I'd be okay with it being included....

.... However, I personally feel it's really not worth the effort. Very little gain for quite a lot of work.