Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Sales Testing $600 vs $1000
(01-18-2014, 09:37 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: Yay, that's great, thanks for sharing!

As a matter of facts, I would require you to tell us more about your margin profits. That is, did you have better results (well, let's say more money) using the highest price or the lowest?

I could have made the maths, but still, I wonder what strategy is the best to win easy money, let's say for those who do not know how to edit starting money...

Anyway, again, thanks for testing and for sharing, much appreciated!

Thanks, i don't mind at all.
I was interested to see the effects of this kind of test myself.

Edit: I wrote some reasoning for the test, but i decided to put it in the first post instead.

On the profits thing
Sorry, but I don't think this test can answer your question about which strategy is more profitable.

Unfortunately, this test was really only narrowly designed to show differences in the volume of sales with different prices in controlled circumstances.
I payed no attention to how much the design of the test would cost, i was only trying to limit as many variables as possible(which is quite hard). I list many of the most costly of these at the end of the post.

Unsurprisingly, these controlled conditions with no concern of profit/cost meant i lost hundreds of thousands over the year of my test. (which is the reason i had to edit in the first place)
I don't think that invalidates the test because it was only ever designed to show the differences in sales volume with a change in price. It was not in any way trying to control/test profits, afaik they don't effect the volume of sales at different prices.

So i think profits at different prices probably needs another entire test to itself with its own controlled variables.

Code:
Some examples of controlled variables that lost me a ton of money in both games:
- I made an unoptimised and fairly expensive vehicle(no slider movement) that could easily be redesigned by any player and in different save games.
- I spent most of the game producing the maximum number of vehicles, with thousands in reserve. (so my sales would never be limited by not having enough vehicles)
- Max branch size(and factory size as well), while simple to implement in tests, cost a fortune. You really need 1500-2000 units selling in London to even make the expenses for that feasible. With 300 units sold it was way too big a branch.
- Marketing is another example, its mad to use none in a real game, you would at the very least max newspapers and edit it frequently to make sure it stays at max. You would get much higher sales and make more money in the process.

Messages In This Thread
Sales Testing $600 vs $1000 - by Arakash - 01-18-2014, 08:18 AM
RE: Sales Testing $600 vs $1000 - by Arakash - 01-18-2014, 10:26 AM