Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FIXED]Possible bug on stock split
I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if i just don't have enough understanding of the stock market.
If this isnt a bug, feel free to move or delete this thread.

My basic understanding of a stock split is they double the number of shares of everyone who owns shares, and splits their value in half. So you have 10 shares at $10 each then end up with 20 shares at $5 each.
I didn't think it was supposed to alter the total value of anyone's stock, or reduce their number/share in a company.

What seems to be happening ingame is the stock split also reduces your share in the company. The reverse also seems to happen when you get really broke and the split is reversed. The game says you own over 100% of the shares (200% for example)

Here are two screenshots,
The first is from my current game, where i bought all my shares, showing my 16% share in the company after splits
[Image: FBK42Kl.png]
The second screenshot is from a test game where i bought no shares and wasted all of my company's money.
[Image: 53Sp7aW.png]
I believe I knocked this ticket out as well. The number of shares you own of your own company is checked in a different location than the normal stocks you own. I forgot to update the number of shares the player owns of their own company during a split.

Thanks again.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Hello,
I do not know if this is the good place to suggest it, but I think it is truly related to this thread...
Would it be possible to disable stock split? Because I launched an IPO at the very begining f my actual game, and now I'm in 1916, my company is worth $ 200 Billions (Yeah... I know...) but I owe only 0% of it... As a matter of facts, it still continues on and on to split around a $100 stock price...
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
(01-01-2014, 08:22 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: Hello,
I do not know if this is the good place to suggest it, but I think it is truly related to this thread...
Would it be possible to disable stock split? Because I launched an IPO at the very begining f my actual game, and now I'm in 1916, my company is worth $ 200 Billions (Yeah... I know...) but I owe only 0% of it... As a matter of facts, it still continues on and on to split around a $100 stock price...

Assuming he fixed it like he seems to have said, why does it need to be disabled?
If it was actually working properly, and you hadn't touched your stock since the IPO, you should still hold 50% of it (thats my understanding of it at least).
I'm assuming I fixed it to, I don't remember though, insomnia messes with the mind! biggrin
We'll go by what I said above, and if it's still not working in 1.11 start a new thread.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Hi there,
Sorry for the post, I am not that good at forums and I can not get the quote to work...

I agree with you Arakash, we should still get 50%... So maybe I did it wrong and never bought back my initial available shares, but still... I owe nothing of the stock, my company is worth $ 200+ B, and I can not use this money to finance expansion and whatever...

Basically, it started with a bad choice of mine, but now, the stock splits on and on... Which means NO chances to buy back any shares... (Or 0,00000002% of my shares, waow...) That is why I would like it disabled...

Plus, let's say you do not plan to only be the new Ettore Bugatti, but you also want to become the best leader in the corporate world (lol), and have stock price that literally beats actual Apple share prices, then you can not... Selling 1 share at $100 is the same as selling 2 shares at 50 each, I get it... But still, once again, when stock is top of the sky, selling only one share on two is best, either for the company or for the financial performance...
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
Good morning,

When a stock splits you're supposed to get back the split amount. 1.10 is broken when your own shares split. You do not get any back...

In 1.11 it will split properly, you'll still own the proper percentage of your company. As far as buying back shares, if no one is willing to sell them, find out who is holding your company and buy them! You'll absorb their share thus you'll own more of your company Tongue

That being said, are you sure you're up to 200billion? That's a very very very high number. 200million sounds more likely. Smile

*Edit* and don't worry about posting, that's what the forums are here for! Smile
Good morning Eric,

You know what about my very very very high number? It got very very very very very very very much higher!!!! $ 1500 B, and Yeah... That is a B as in billions...

Not sure how I got it, but for sure, I invested a lot in stock market (owning now all available shares from ALL my competitors, which is quite weird, because their stock price decreases and nobody is willing to sell them...), and the only competitors I could not buy were Eisenwerk and Dakrott (their stock prices were half of mine, too costly obviously...)

5 years later, their stock price is $1,3 average, and now, their market cap went down from $600-700 M to respectively 75 and 25 M... So I bought all the shares...

Should I considered I mastered the market, crushing down my competitors with my market strength? LOL, I guess I did... Not sure if I can do it again, but for sure I want to complete this game first!

Please let me know how to upload pictures of it!

Oh and thanks for info Eric!
A save game would be better.

If you want to upload pictures or save games click on your start button, then all programs (or programs) go to the gear city open beta menu, there you'll see a folder called GearCity Open Beta Data Folder or something to that effect.

To upload pictures just click on add reply on the forums, then click upload and select your pictures.
To upload saved games first you'll need to zip the save game, directions on how to do this are here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...-zip-files

Then follow the same process as uploading a picture!

Thanks! (let us know if you need any help!)
Ok, I zipped the savegame!

Please find it enclosed!

As a matter of facts, my company had been raising skyless!

I made reports on each december from 1920 (I'm now 1925), here are the results:

1920, 15931 M shares, $ 1,586 B market cap
1921, 63727 M shares, $ 3,826 B market cap
1922, 127454 M shares, $ 9,870 B
1924, 509817 M shares, $ 49,527 B (I know, I missed 1923, designing new vehicle)

My thought is that as the market splits on an on, each time it tends to $100, it doubles the amount of shares, and on, and on...

Thus, I must admit a company had never been that high in history, neither in car industry or anywhere else... So 3 solutions:

1. I am as good as ALIEN's Walmart CEO (which I'd like to be, obviously), and ready to design High luxury spacecrafts (but waiting for the full game to exploit it Wink )
2. I created a company that would have, in the 1920's, exceded the sum of the actual 10 best GDP (In order: US, China, Japan, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Russia, Brazil, Italia, Canada - Approx $ 50 000 B in 2013)
Or 3. The game may lack a bit of balancy on that particular point...

And then, I do not know if this is related, but other companies in the game barely make it through, and usually go bankruptcy after a while... (And then I takeover it, and sell the brand in order to get competitors...) Do you think that would not happen if I did not buy any available shares as soon as they are available?

Attached Files
.rar   LoGood.rar (Size: 1.13 MB / Downloads: 395)