Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WONT]Sub-brands. Not MARQUES!
Hello, I've suggested this before but it seamed that you guys didn't get my idea biggrin

I'll give you clues to each before suggesting my idea.
MARQUE. A marque is an independent "Brand" from the same company which produces different models and has totally different line up, examples for that is "Cadillac" and "Chevrolet" from "General Motors". Each marque stands alone from the other in term of sales, image in front of public, models, technologies, and so on.

Sub-Brand. The sub-brand is a total different story, it's not independent as a "Brand" and it does NOT has it's own models and line up. Examples for that is "AMG" by Mercedes-Benz and "V-Series" by Cadillac. These Sub-brands have a purpose, the sub-brand is a "Trim" that has heavy-modification for a certain goal. The goal could be, "Fuel Efficiency" as Skoda-Auto's "Greenline". Or, "Performance" as "AMG" and "V-Series".
These Sub-Brands has their own image to public which affects sales heavily. "V-Series" for instance has great "image" in term of performance which lead "Ferrari" to get special licenses from Cadillac to use the technologies in their cars. Let me point out, when "Ferrari" did that, Cadillac wasn't really acclaimed as a performance brand. It was known "The-car-your-Grandpa-drive-which-is-trying-to-get-modern" biggrin

My point here is, if it's possible, could we have sub-brands in the game? Sub-brands that has their own technologies.
To create a model under this sub-brand. The player has to develop one or more -as he/she wishes- technologies, "engine", "transmission", "suspension", etc.. then, all he has to do is select a model, and create a version of it under this name.
On the subject biggrin Could we also have a "Slogan" that we can change as the game moves on, and a "logo creator" which also accessible as the game moves on to update the logo.

I KNOW I SAID TOO MUCH, BUT I HOPE YOU GUYS TAKE IT IN CONSIDERATION.
ONCE AGAIN, THANKS FOR THE GREAT GAME!!!
(05-05-2014, 01:45 PM)zane94s Wrote: Hello, I've suggested this before but it seamed that you guys didn't get my idea biggrin

MARQUE. A marque is an independent "Brand" from the same company which produces different models and has totally different line up, examples for that is "Cadillac" and "Chevrolet" from "General Motors". Each marque stands alone from the other in term of sales, image in front of public, models, technologies, and so on.

Sub-Brand. The sub-brand is a total different story, it's not independent as a "Brand" and it does NOT has it's own models and line up. Examples for that is "AMG" by Mercedes-Benz and "V-Series" by Cadillac. These Sub-brands have a purpose, the sub-brand is a "Trim" that has heavy-modification for a certain goal. The goal could be, "Fuel Efficiency" as Skoda-Auto's "Greenline". Or, "Performance" as "AMG" and "V-Series".
These Sub-Brands has their own image to public which affects sales heavily. "V-Series" for instance has great "image" in term of performance which lead "Ferrari" to get special licenses from Cadillac to use the technologies in their cars. Let me point out, when "Ferrari" did that, Cadillac wasn't really acclaimed as a performance brand. It was known "The-car-your-Grandpa-drive-which-is-trying-to-get-modern" biggrin

My point here is, if it's possible, could we have sub-brands in the game? Sub-brands that has their own technologies.
To create a model under this sub-brand. The player has to develop one or more -as he/she wishes- technologies, "engine", "transmission", "suspension", etc.. then, all he has to do is select a model, and create a version of it under this name.
On the subject biggrin Could we also have a "Slogan" that we can change as the game moves on, and a "logo creator" which also accessible as the game moves on to update the logo.

You dont have to be worried about long posts or anything, i dont think anyone really minds as long as you are satisfied you got your point across.
You do have to be careful about not putting too many suggestions in one post though. Like your talk on Logos, which as i understand it will be fully moddable eventually, was quite likely to be overlooked so far into this suggestion thread. Most of us including myself are guilty of doing this at some point, but its still something to keep in mind.

On suggesting different images for different marques, this has definitely been either suggested or implemented before, i dont remember exactly. Perhaps one of the other forum users remembers.

Im still not sure i understand what you mean by separate technologies for different marques.

Just to explain the current system.
Currently in the game, your company has a number of technological skills, which limit what technologies(basically options in various dropdown boxes when designing components) are available to them and also contribute to the statistics/ratings of their designs.
You raise them by designing components normally and often by designing high quality components regularly, in combination with using research teams. Making the components just for raising tech especially can be a fair bit of repetition.

Other than the tech point, the sub-brands if they were implemented as you describe them seem to be very similar if not the same as the current implementation of marques.
(05-05-2014, 02:03 PM)Arakash Wrote:
(05-05-2014, 01:45 PM)zane94s Wrote: Hello, I've suggested this before but it seamed that you guys didn't get my idea biggrin

You dont have to be worried about long posts or anything, i dont think anyone really minds as long as you are satisfied you got your point across.
You do have to be careful about not putting too many suggestions in one post though. Like your talk on Logos, which as i understand it will be fully moddable eventually, was quite likely to be overlooked so far into this suggestion thread. Most of us including myself are guilty of doing this at some point, but its still something to keep in mind.

On suggesting different images for different marques, this has definitely been either suggested or implemented before, i dont remember exactly. Perhaps one of the other forum users remembers.

Im still not sure i understand what you mean by separate technologies for different marques.

Just to explain the current system.
Currently in the game, your company has a number of technological skills, which limit what technologies(basically options in various dropdown boxes when designing components) are available to them and also contribute to the statistics/ratings of their designs.
You raise them by designing components normally and often by designing high quality components regularly, in combination with using research teams. Making the components just for raising tech especially can be a fair bit of repetition.

Other than the tech point, the sub-brands if they were implemented as you describe them seem to be very similar if not the same as the current implementation of marques.

Separate technologies as I meant, are sort of components that are especially designed for the sub-brand and are recognized by the buyers. Let's say I developed a high output engine for a sub-brand, when this engine is used in a certain vehicle that is NOT part of the sub-brand (in conjunction with great performance image for the sub-brand), the rating for that vehicle should be increased, so as well the sales. These are crucial strategies that manufacturers had been using till this date. Wink
The way marques currently work in the game they are fully able to be used to represent a completely different company or a sub brand depending on what you do with them.
It requires a bit of role play and self discipline to do this but I don't see any problem with that.

I guess I'm just not convinced that having a separate system and set of rules for sub brands and marques would really be worth the time and effort to set it up.

Ultimately that's Eric's call though. I am interested to hear his thoughts on this suggestion.
I don't see how this is different than the marque system currently used.

To take your Mercedes AMG example. AMG used to be a tuning car company. It was bought by DaimlerChrysler and is still operated separately from Mercedes-Benz marque as Mercedes-AMG GmbH much like Fiat and Abarth.

As for other sub-brands such as EcoBoost, Northstar, etc. They are mainly naming conventions, which you can work into your designs. I don't think the amount of work to make such systems in the games would be worth the effort. Specially since the Marque system would cover the major cases.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski