Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI Vehicle/Component Naming
Hi,

this may seem like a minor thing to most, but it's something that I personally find a bit irritating.

Let's face it: the AI naming conventions are plain ridiculous and some of the names are real immersion breakers. I know they take their words from the moddable nounlist.txt file and I guess it would be possible to just delete the most bizarre ones...but maybe there's a more elegant solution to this problem.

It would, for example, be great if every AI manufacturer could get its own set of words to use (since many of the AIs are based on real companies), which could be slight alterations of real world model names (or at least something that is not called mini-skirt or toothbrush). Now if that list could be edited, a dedicated modder, such as myself, could just replace these with the actual model names and give the game an IMO nice and realistic touch (of course, the game itself could not contain these for obvious copyright reasons). In this regard, it would also be good if the model names could be tied to specific vehicle types (though that may be too much of an effort?).

As to gearboxes and engines: why do these need names at all? There are some reasons to name a chassis, but I'm not aware of real world examples where gearboxes and engines were actually given proper names, apart from, say, "5L V8". This makes searching through the AI component list quite a pain, as you cannot see an first glance (without clicking on it and looking at the chart) what kind of engine is hiding behind that non-descriptive noun. IMO it would therefore be preferable to just name engines and gearboxes in accordance with their specifications (displacement and layout for engines, number of gears and MT/AT as well as gearing type for gearboxes).

Any thoughts? I'd assume the gearboxes and engines thing would be quite easy to implement?
Changing the gearbox/engine names would be easy, although engines do get names. Using your 5L V8 example, Ford makes Windsor, Cleveland, Boss, Triton, Modular etc.

As for specific names for companies, it could be possible in an expansion. I don't think I can or will implement that for the single player build.

If you're interested in cleaning up the noun list, I would be willing to implement it in the game. Other wise it will be a while before I purge the list of Grandma Toothbushes! Wink
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(04-02-2014, 05:21 PM)Eric.B Wrote: Changing the gearbox/engine names would be easy, although engines do get names. Using your 5L V8 example, Ford makes Windsor, Cleveland, Boss, Triton, Modular etc.

You're right, of course, but these are more like designations for development purposes. You rarely see a car being advertised using these (might have been different in the 60s, dunno).
(04-02-2014, 04:40 PM)freeman2344 Wrote: Hi,

this may seem like a minor thing to most, but it's something that I personally find a bit irritating.

Let's face it: the AI naming conventions are plain ridiculous and some of the names are real immersion breakers. I know they take their words from the moddable nounlist.txt file and I guess it would be possible to just delete the most bizarre ones...but maybe there's a more elegant solution to this problem.

It would, for example, be great if every AI manufacturer could get its own set of words to use (since many of the AIs are based on real companies), which could be slight alterations of real world model names (or at least something that is not called mini-skirt or toothbrush). Now if that list could be edited, a dedicated modder, such as myself, could just replace these with the actual model names and give the game an IMO nice and realistic touch (of course, the game itself could not contain these for obvious copyright reasons). In this regard, it would also be good if the model names could be tied to specific vehicle types (though that may be too much of an effort?).

As to gearboxes and engines: why do these need names at all? There are some reasons to name a chassis, but I'm not aware of real world examples where gearboxes and engines were actually given proper names, apart from, say, "5L V8". This makes searching through the AI component list quite a pain, as you cannot see an first glance (without clicking on it and looking at the chart) what kind of engine is hiding behind that non-descriptive noun. IMO it would therefore be preferable to just name engines and gearboxes in accordance with their specifications (displacement and layout for engines, number of gears and MT/AT as well as gearing type for gearboxes).

Any thoughts? I'd assume the gearboxes and engines thing would be quite easy to implement?
Interesting post.
Id have to say thats its a fair point they can be immersion breaking at times, though personally ive found some humor in some of the names as they can get quite ridiculous at times.

Im not sure if you could just base them off the statistics of your engine from the start due to the UI. Atm they are defined in the UI before you build the item(though you can modify it later).
Perhaps it needs another randomise name button in the designer UI that gives it a designation based on its statistics.

I think there is actually a need for names, especially if you consider the general UI built around these things having names. They also, like all names, make it somewhat easier to identify and track specific components. Most of the components ive looked up online(mostly military vehicles) also tend to have some sort of designation, though usually the engine, not necessarily the chassis.
Im not saying you cant improve the naming system, im just making the point against your idea that they arent necessarily needed.
(04-02-2014, 06:48 PM)Arakash Wrote:
(04-02-2014, 04:40 PM)freeman2344 Wrote: Hi,

Interesting post.
Id have to say thats its a fair point they can be immersion breaking at times, though personally ive found some humor in some of the names as they can get quite ridiculous at times.

Im not sure if you could just base them off the statistics of your engine from the start due to the UI. Atm they are defined in the UI before you build the item(though you can modify it later).
Perhaps it needs another randomise name button in the designer UI that gives it a designation based on its statistics.

I think there is actually a need for names, especially if you consider the general UI built around these things having names. They also, like all names, make it somewhat easier to identify and track specific components. Most of the components ive looked up online(mostly military vehicles) also tend to have some sort of designation, though usually the engine, not necessarily the chassis.
Im not saying you cant improve the naming system, im just making the point against your idea that they arent necessarily needed.

You're right, a designation is needed - but not necessarily a name. An engine shouldn't be called "Apology Football", "Restaurant Kettle" or "Dance Person" - all examples from my current game. Real engines, especially military ones, have very clear designations, even though they often indicate development status (such as DB605 or AGT1500) and not, as I had suggested, displacement and type (though both specifications are often mentioned together).
Personally, i think the best thing that could be done at the moment just to summarise:

1. Adding in a button, perhaps near the ratings in the button right that gives your component a random designation based on the statistics youve talked about at length.
(imo the UI isnt really designed to allow us to do it any other way. Normally you are supposed to enter a name before anything is designed at all, setting a meaningful designation at that point is impractical)

2. Clearing some of the nouns out of the noun list that make especially ridiculous names, or perhaps having a checkbox in the menu for adding them in. Some of them and their combinations with others are dubious enough that i suspect they could even impact the rating of the game on release.
A simple example : the word "sex" is in the noun list. Combining that with quite a few of the other nouns can give dubious results to say the least.

It might be consider a bit prudish to be objecting to that stuff, but these are the kinds of distracting issues that come up later in development/release Smile