Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intended size of Research Teams effects?
This thread may end up in the bug threads, depending on the actual answer to the question:
How much should Research Teams be effecting your R&D skills?

For example, if i was to sit with max research teams spending for 5-10 years (-3-4 mil per month) should i expect to see new components become available to produce just like they would if i was to design components.

In 1.13 i can remember having access to Ladder Frames and Straight engines just from producing one engine and one chassis design. ( i think ladder frames are 1904 release date, so after that)

In this current testing game ive been using Research teams and doing nothing else for 4 years, then i switched them to max spending until 1910(so another 5-6 years spending 3-4mil per month on research teams). I am still yet to get access to any new components. This makes me wonder if im required to design a certain number of components for it to work properly or if its just not WAD.

In fact looking at my save game, the design_transmission etc etc stats(which i assume are the one the research teams change) have actually gone down from their starting position of 10 to around 7ish. That officially makes me the worst in the entire game looking at the table.

Just comparing the cost, that's 240mil spent on research projects over 5 years, which gives me nothing compared to the several hundred k it would take to design 3 components which would give me access to new tech.

Save is attached as it may be relevant.

Attached Files
.rar   Empty Test - Copy.rar (Size: 1.05 MB / Downloads: 401)
You still have to design components at the same time, If you're in the lower tier of designers that will decrease your skills. No designs = lower skills....

You are right though, The numbers probably need a bit of tweaking though.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
to give some numbers to it:

If your best designed engine is 10% higher than your design skill, you increase 0.4
if you best designed engine is lower by 10% than your design skill, you decrease 0.4

if your best engine is above 10% skill, you get up to 0.5 bonus from research.
if your best engine is 10% lower than design skill, you get up to 0.4 bonus from research.

So your best engine is 0, your skill is 5, you max out research your skill does not move... if you do half research you lose 0.2 skill points.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(04-01-2014, 01:53 PM)Eric.B Wrote: to give some numbers to it:

If your best designed engine is 10% higher than your design skill, you increase 0.4
if you best designed engine is lower by 10% than your design skill, you decrease 0.4

if your best engine is above 10% skill, you get up to 0.5 bonus from research.
if your best engine is 10% lower than design skill, you get up to 0.4 bonus from research.

So your best engine is 0, your skill is 5, you max out research your skill does not move... if you do half research you lose 0.2 skill points.
Thanks for sharing those numbers, they are extremely useful in understanding the system.
One last question mostly for clarification, when you say that "best designed engine is 10% higher than your design skill" are you referring to the overall rating of the engine?
Yup.