Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Independant subsidiary
Note: this isn't a fully formed idea but I'm posting it in hopes of starting discussion.

The current trading system allows trading in shares as well buying out and taking full control of other companies which is cool but I think there's an interesting option that has been overlooked.

Most modern car companies either own or are owned by another, yet the majority of them behave as independent entities only trading components to save research costs.

It would be cool to emulate this in some way.

Not sure how it would work but I'm picturing it as buying out a marque like it currently works but not taking control of all of their assets or their R&D and they gain the cash from the buyout to spend on developing new vehicles and building new factories/branches. Both marques would gain full access to each other's components but would have to design their own vehicles. In return, the owner would get a cut of the subsidiarys profits.

Perhaps their could also be a way for one member of the group to make its unused factory lines available to other members of a group and possibly some kind of branch sharing mechanism as well.

This could also make it possible for a players failing company to be rescued by a more successful AI marque buying them out and allowing them to trade as an independent subsidiary. Perhaps there could also be a way for the player to buy back their company later on if they manage to turn around their fortunes.
Interesting idea. Perhaps something that would work well in an expansion (if they are made).

At the moment i think you are right in thinking that the marques bought by a company really dont have much independence, which you might expect them to have some degree of in reality. Especially in different countries.
Once a company is bought, in Gearcity afaik, the only difference is in the marques on the vehicles.