Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finer granulation of factory production
I don't know how popular this idea will be but I'll float it here to gauge.

In the last few games I've played I have had a focus on smaller production outputs companies (a sports company that sold nationally but relied on small volume / high margin vehicles and a company operating solely in Australia plus a couple others) and I have often found it all but impossible to balance production to some of the lower turnaround vehicles (I've also found this in some larger games but to a lesser extent). I find I invariably end up with one or two vehicles that I alternate turning production on, then off again almost every turn in an effort to not run out of stock or end up with 6 months worth.

I propose factories be broken up into a greater number of lines but maintain current output capacities. I would say either a factor of 2 or 3 would be enough but possibly more if enough people like the idea.

So, using the attached screenshot as an example, instead of having one line using 87 staff and building 71 vehicles it would be one line = 29 staff & 24 vehicles (ish). Meaning I can fill three lines and get the same output at the same cost but I have the option of only filling 2 or maybe 4 for finer tuning giving me greater opportunity to be able to leave it alone for longer.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very creative model names :p
(03-23-2014, 01:17 PM)freeman2344 Wrote: Very creative model names :p
Clearly you haven't seen mine. In most of my games i name them exactly by their Gearcity Model type. So usually Compact 1 and Sedan 1.
In comparison to that, Frankschtaldt's names are creative.
(03-23-2014, 02:45 PM)Arakash Wrote:
Clearly you haven't seen mine. In most of my games i name them exactly by their Gearcity Model type. So usually Compact 1 and Sedan 1.

Holy derailment Batman!! LOL

To bad the "Dunnydoor" isn't in that pic for you to see =)

(03-23-2014, 02:48 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote:
(03-23-2014, 02:45 PM)Arakash Wrote:

Holy derailment Batman!! LOL

To bad the "Dunnydoor" isn't in that pic for you to see =)

Oh, wait, it is \o/
I prefer my 1907 Wise Grandma Pants
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(03-23-2014, 01:19 AM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: I don't know how popular this idea will be but I'll float it here to gauge.

In the last few games I've played I have had a focus on smaller production outputs companies (a sports company that sold nationally but relied on small volume / high margin vehicles and a company operating solely in Australia plus a couple others) and I have often found it all but impossible to balance production to some of the lower turnaround vehicles (I've also found this in some larger games but to a lesser extent). I find I invariably end up with one or two vehicles that I alternate turning production on, then off again almost every turn in an effort to not run out of stock or end up with 6 months worth.

I propose factories be broken up into a greater number of lines but maintain current output capacities. I would say either a factor of 2 or 3 would be enough but possibly more if enough people like the idea.

So, using the attached screenshot as an example, instead of having one line using 87 staff and building 71 vehicles it would be one line = 29 staff & 24 vehicles (ish). Meaning I can fill three lines and get the same output at the same cost but I have the option of only filling 2 or maybe 4 for finer tuning giving me greater opportunity to be able to leave it alone for longer.
Allow me to underail the thread Smile
Sorry for contributing to that derail Smile

At the moment, the times when i do what finer control i usually get it by messing with the second slider rather than the first one. So in some cases ive only need to make 2 vehicles from one line, which is possible using that second slider.

Even with this, i frequently(well... always basically) have trouble trying to predict sales and end up producing too much or too little.
Personally i mostly blame this on the inherent randomness of the system and the huge number of variables effecting sales, especially competitor behavior. But that's a different conversation, short story is even with finer production control i would still produce too much or too little and probably have to fine tune things frequently.

That said, i cant say i would be in any way disadvantaged or bothered if the system was slightly more granulated as you suggest.