Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FIXED]Design Project Costs - Design sliders
I would like to have the cost("Design Project Cost") of design sliders that only effect design cost rather than unit cost balanced a bit. At the moment, i cant see much reason not to max them all in any situation other than to reduce the design time.(which doesn't come up often)

I think i suggested in another thread that a possible solution for this was to have most or all of the sliders effect unit cost in some way(many dont atm), but i think i have a better idea for it which ill talk about below.

Suggestion:
I think the "Design project Cost" of design sliders that don't effect unit cost should be increased, but only when they are set close to maximum.
You could even have a red line, which would represent the point at which the costs increase dramatically. Going over this line could just cost extra, or it could involve a chance of waste or failure(making it worse than it would be normally) depending on the skill of your team.

Edit: Maybe "Overdesign" is something to call it? i don't know.

Exceptions:
I still think the costs of the design sliders, when set to middle and low, should perhaps be left where they are, in order to preserve the current costs/balance of designing a vehicle when starting out.
Changing them would force you to spend extra time balancing the entire thing out.

Example:
As a crude example (Note: not real cash numbers)
The middle might cost 20,000
Max to the left might cost 10,000
Half way to the left might cost 30,000
Above the red line and Max to the right (best positive effect) might cost 80,000-100,000

Comments:
This would give you a lot of motivation to make a hard decision on how much you really want to spend on component/vehicle design. In most cases, you would really only want to max one of them, unless you had a lot of money to throw at design.
Maxing all of them would be possible for rich players, but still carrying a component of risk.

I just made a basic representation in paint of what i suggest would look like(obviously its very basic looking), using the red line i suggested above.

Thoughts?
My only question is (directed at Eric really) how much actual gain do you get from turning up those design cost only slider?

I ask because the comparatively small cost to max them might already be balanced by a comparatively small return.
(02-11-2014, 04:00 AM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: My only question is (directed at Eric really) how much actual gain do you get from turning up those design cost only slider?

I ask because the comparatively small cost to max them might already be balanced by a comparatively small return.
It will be interesting hearing Eric's opinion on this yes.

I can share my personal opinion based on my personal experience in the meantime, even though its purely anecdotal.

I find you can easily boost the quality of vehicle with Min Manufac/Tech/Material sliders by putting most of the other design sliders to max.
I just produced a really terrible vehicle in 1901/2 for example, with a 32 rating but all min on the sliders i mentioned. Its production cost is around 200-210.
By no means the cheapest vehicle you can make, but imo, its quality was boosted using those sliders without any real disadvantage to me as a player. It cost marginally more and especially in the case of the gearbox/engine, even at max design sliders it took less time than the chassis, so time isnt really an issue.

The market demographics sliders are perhaps the only one(that dont increase unit cost) that really does have a serious disadvantage imo. Maxing them all can make vehicle development take literally years Smile

Perhaps there is some kind of disadvantage im not aware of, such as the high design requirements of such a vehicle causing me severe penalties because of my low company design skill around 1900.
I've adjusted all the sliders to adjust costs, as well made the sliders costs exponential (x^2)

I've also added in a hypercar tax, combining all sliders it add an x^4 cost to both unit costs and design costs. Thus giving us hyper-car level costs for the "perfect" vehicles.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski