Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apllication of component updates
(03-22-2014, 06:32 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote:
(03-22-2014, 10:37 AM)Arakash Wrote: I think the current modify system is quite expensive already, almost prohibitively so.
I cant speak for everyone, but i dont think ive done it more than once for each component, certainly not for engines at 1mil a upgrade.
At the rate components deteriorate, that level of improvement is quite quickly overcome, so i dont think having it effect current models being produced is unbalanced in any way.

I totally agree, I've only ever done it once to see how it worked and came to the conclusion it was a waste of money.
My suggestion to have its cost go up base off the number of vehicles you had in stock was based off the assumption the base cost would come down considerably. I probably should have been clearer on that.

I personally think that the "Modify component" system should just be changed to be like the "New year model" system and just give you your original component to tweak.
My second choice would be to simply have it change to components design date so it doesn't actually change any stats, it just modernises it.
For the purposes of this discussion I'm assuming it'll stay as is and I'm just offering suggestion on how the current method could be tweaked.

(03-22-2014, 10:37 AM)Arakash Wrote: I would rather keep the Trim system for purely cosmetic changes as i think was the original intention of that system.

I'm not sure I agree with you on what the Trim system is supposed to do. I always saw it as a way of creating fairly significantly different variants of the same vehicle.
For a real world example, the E36 BMW 3 series came in 316i, 318i, 318is, 320i, 323i, 318dts, 325td, 325tds and M3 and that was just in the sedan. Each one of these had a different engine and many of them had different interior options and gearboxes etc. but they were all built off basically the same car. There were nearly as many Coupes, convertables and wagons as well as a hatch. This kind of thing is actually very common.
I think this kind of thing is what the Trim system should be trying to mimic.
Ideally, I'd like the Trim system to allow you to change the body style (within certain limitations, eg, you shouldn't be able to make a Full sied van into a Micro car with a new trim) as well as engine, gearbox and the various sliders. Logically, it might actually make sense to have the chassis locked for trim changes though.

Thins should probably be in another thread really. I have to go shopping though. Feel free to start up a new thread if you want to keep discussing it and I'll join in when I get back =)

The trim comment was really a minor one, trying to argue against expanding a system that i already believe covers too much already and too easily/cheaply. As i understand its very easy to exploit. The purpose of trims has been discussed in other threads before so I dont think ill go into it here.
In retrospect i suppose i shouldn't have mentioned it as it was likely to derail the thread.

Whats your thoughts on my comments that i think its plausible and practical for the game to improve(5-10%) the stats of existing models in production to reflect changes due to feedback that i explained in my last post?
You seemed to agree with Sarchez on this point but i dont for the reasons i stated here and in my last post.
You said you agreed to a quote of mine but i assume you just agreed that the system is currently expensive Smile

Your idea of allowing us to redesign our components during a modify action to make the feature more in line with "New Year Model" and "Trim" is an interesting one. Ill have to put some thought into how that would work or whether it makes sense. Its quite thought provoking.

On your of having the modify system change the effective date on the component: Depending on how the components degrade, whether its flat decreases in stats over time or just stats that are effected by a date modifier would change whether that is actually something that could be coded imo.
(03-22-2014, 09:55 PM)Arakash Wrote: You seemed to agree with Sarchez on this point but i dont for the reasons i stated here and in my last post.
You said you agreed to a quote of mine but i assume you just agreed that the system is currently expensive Smile

I did just agree that the system is currently too expensive. For the record, I also have a problem with how instant the system is. Giving you the component in a design window to modify like the new year model system does would solve both issues.

But I digress....

(03-22-2014, 09:55 PM)Arakash Wrote: Whats your thoughts on my comments that i think its plausible and practical for the game to improve(5-10%) the stats of existing models in production to reflect changes due to feedback that i explained in my last post?

I'm not sure to be honest. I think I understand what you mean and it basically revolves around the "series II" vs constant ongoing improvement discussion we were having the other day. The reality of it is that the updates you're talking about are like making a new year model but with very few tweeks while the update from AU to BF Falcon or E30 to E36 3 series are more like and entire new model. I think for keeping the game practical it would be a case of when just making tweeks to keep your vehicle modern you make a "New year model" but don't change much but when you make the next major update you go the "new year model" as well but change a bunch of stuff. I guess with the game as it is right now it's really just an RP difference.

Perhaps there could be a "New year model" button as well as a "Modernize" button that simply changes the effective model year but nothing else?

(03-22-2014, 09:55 PM)Arakash Wrote: Your idea of allowing us to redesign our components during a modify action to make the feature more in line with "New Year Model" and "Trim" is an interesting one. Ill have to put some thought into how that would work or whether it makes sense. Its quite thought provoking.

On your of having the modify system change the effective date on the component: Depending on how the components degrade, whether its flat decreases in stats over time or just stats that are effected by a date modifier would change whether that is actually something that could be coded imo.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having both these option for both Vehicles and components.