Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Brussels getting blasted.
You are aware that they have 2000 different beers there, right ?!?

So far, they've been destroyed 5 times in this game (and it's the only place).
Just pointing it out, if there's a random factor that's supposed to be working. (Then I don't think it is) Smile

Speaking about destruction...

There is no need to get a report about it, unless you have something in the city that has been affected. (I've received this each time, without having any branches or factories there).
Maybe it should be in the newspaper, if you don't own anything in the city - and only as a report, if you have something that get's affected ?
I had this discussion with Nissan Man on IRC,
Belgium is the only major area to receive major damage during WW1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_of_Belgium

The western front was mainly a stalemate, and the wars in the east where stalemates in some places and more mobile in others. Unlike later wars there wasn't much in the way of bombardments etc.

So Brussels gets the short end of the stick. This is probably why they make beers and not cars. Wink
Anyway I do need to reduce the chance of multiple firings of the "damage" event. Specially since it's the only city having this problem in WW1. (Works better in WW2 since most of Europe and Asia can go BOOM! biggrin )
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(02-02-2014, 10:55 PM)Eric.B Wrote: I had this discussion with Nissan Man on IRC,

The western front was mainly a stalemate, and the wars in the east where stalemates in some places and more mobile in others. Unlike later wars there wasn't much in the way of bombardments etc.

So Brussels gets the short end of the stick. This is probably why they make beers and not cars. Wink
Anyway I do need to reduce the chance of multiple firings of the "damage" event. Specially since it's the only city having this problem in WW1. (Works better in WW2 since most of Europe and Asia can go BOOM! biggrin )

This wikipedia article is pure propaganda and has nothing to do with reality. So I think you shouldn't use so much of wikipedia information. But what is correct is that some parts of Belgium and northern France were destroyed during the war.
(02-03-2014, 11:28 AM)Celeste Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 10:55 PM)Eric.B Wrote: I had this discussion with Nissan Man on IRC,

This wikipedia article is pure propaganda and has nothing to do with reality. So I think you shouldn't use so much of wikipedia information. But what is correct is that some parts of Belgium and northern France were destroyed during the war.

The article does mention that is mainly considered propaganda. I don't just purely use Wikipedia information. (In fact I've used Wikipedia surprisingly little in this game...) But the fact of the matter is, Belgium is the only area to receive high amounts of infrastructure/manufacturing damage during the war in the western front. As such it's marked as "Total War". It's easier to link to a Wikipedia article on the subject than looking for a ebook on it. Wink
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Belgium was the main theatre of war for WW1 - that's no propaganda, but merely the truth. It makes perfect sense to see all of your factories there get destroyed.
(02-03-2014, 05:04 PM)freeman2344 Wrote: Belgium was the main theatre of war for WW1 - that's no propaganda, but merely the truth. It makes perfect sense to see all of your factories there get destroyed.

I didn't made a statement the parts of Belgium were not destroyed. I stated the opposite. But most other "facts" of this wikipedia-article have nothing to do with the reality and are pure propaganda. You should also recognize, that no renown historican is quoted in the article. Of course not, than no renown historican would tell this nonsense.
(02-04-2014, 11:45 AM)Celeste Wrote: I didn't made a statement the parts of Belgium were not destroyed. I stated the opposite. But most other "facts" of this wikipedia-article have nothing to do with the reality and are pure propaganda. You should also recognize, that no renown historican is quoted in the article. Of course not, than no renown historican would tell this nonsense.
Afaik the only things that are relevant to the mechanics of Gearcity in WW1 are:
Destruction in Cities
Minor/Major/Peace status

I think we should try to limit the discussion to those, for reasons ill go into below:
Seeing as you agree on the destruction(you've said this twice), unless you want to bring up claims in that article related to the minor/major/peace discussion, the reliability of the Wikipedia article or the other claims made in that Wikipedia article are totally irrelevant to the game.
Even if they were relevant, these discussions(accusations of war crimes in that article) will often attract flamewars due to their controversial nature, so i really don't think this is the time or place to be discussing them. At the very least, it doesn't belong in the bugs section of this forum.

I hope im not being too preachy. The forum rules ask to keep things civil, so i thought in order to keep it that way in this thread at least, i should mention what i did.
It's been pretty civil in here, so I wouldn't worry too much Arakash. Celeste is correct in that the article is about propaganda. It is propaganda, but it's also the only article I know of on Wiki dealing with the destruction of Belgium in WW1.
I could link to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium_in_World_War_I But it points right back to the rape article as well...

If I wanted to waste the time I would link to better, unbiased, sources about the destruction but either article makes the point and I'm not writing an academic paper here. Wink

Anyhoo it's moot, and we all agree that you probably should avoid Belgium in WW1... and we all need more beer!
(02-04-2014, 12:45 PM)Eric.B Wrote: It's been pretty civil in here, so I wouldn't worry too much Arakash. Celeste is correct in that the article is about propaganda. It is propaganda, but it's also the only article I know of on Wiki dealing with the destruction of Belgium in WW1.
I could link to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium_in_World_War_I But it points right back to the rape article as well...

If I wanted to waste the time I would link to better, unbiased, sources about the destruction but either article makes the point and I'm not writing an academic paper here. Wink

Anyhoo it's moot, and we all agree that you probably should avoid Belgium in WW1... and we all need more beer!

Sorry, didn't want to offend anybody. And for the topic of the game, we all have the same opinion! biggrin