Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[FIXED]Stock market too exploitable
This is probably an obvious one, But I figured I'd mention it anyways.

As it is the company and stock value has nothing really todo with the companies actual assets as far as I can tell... I've been able to buy companies for 500k and then get like 30 million in cash + plus all their branches, factories, and designs.. and if I sell the marque I can get another 2-6mil for what usually amounts to a bunch of useless designs.. Although a few designs I've bought have proved to be reasonably successful sellers.

It should be impossible to pay less for a company than its cash reserves, and since it only requires 51%, you can pay like half a cent a share and still take it over, and the other 49% disappears into thin air..

I highly recommend you download/buy Railroad Tycoon 3 and play it.. DO IT!! Best stock market simulation I've seen in a tycoon game.. possible to exploit, but difficult and very risky.. the way a stock market should be...

I'd also suggest considering a system like RT3 where you play as a Player, and found a company.. It would fit with gearcity's menus and feel. Gearcity trys to make you feel like your playing as the CEO of a company, why not actually make that the case?

It would also allow a much more interesting stock market system where you have to balance your personal characters interests with that of your company.. Or exploit your power as CEO to make you rich and leave the company in ruin as you laugh to the bank and on to form your next company.
(01-15-2014, 06:42 PM)Drake Wrote: This is probably an obvious one, But I figured I'd mention it anyways.

As it is the company and stock value has nothing really todo with the companies actual assets as far as I can tell... I've been able to buy companies for 500k and then get like 30 million in cash + plus all their branches, factories, and designs.. and if I sell the marque I can get another 2-6mil for what usually amounts to a bunch of useless designs.. Although a few designs I've bought have proved to be reasonably successful sellers.

It should be impossible to pay less for a company than its cash reserves, and since it only requires 51%, you can pay like half a cent a share and still take it over, and the other 49% disappears into thin air..

I highly recommend you download/buy Railroad Tycoon 3 and play it.. DO IT!! Best stock market simulation I've seen in a tycoon game.. possible to exploit, but difficult and very risky.. the way a stock market should be...

I'd also suggest considering a system like RT3 where you play as a Player, and found a company.. It would fit with gearcity's menus and feel. Gearcity trys to make you feel like your playing as the CEO of a company, why not actually make that the case?

It would also allow a much more interesting stock market system where you have to balance your personal characters interests with that of your company.. Or exploit your power as CEO to make you rich and leave the company in ruin as you laugh to the bank and on to form your next company.

From a player/Forum users perspective.

Youve made some interesting points here and some good suggestions, but i would say this is really a suggestion thread rather than a bug report. The reason for this is you didnt point to any mechanics that appeared to be working in an unintended way. You just pointed to mechanics that need expanding in depth.
So its in the wrong forum area. I look forward to discussing it once it gets its own suggestion thread.
I play RT2 quite regularly. I really thought hard about doing such a system in GearCity but it was well after I had most of the framework code done. So I didn't bother rewriting a chunk of the game to do it.

It's a feature that will be implemented if there ever is a GearCity 2 (Note: Not the expansion I talk about sometimes.) We'll probably go a step more and offer the ability to buy out dealerships, part companies, and resources as well... Just to make it complete! biggrin

The stock system has gotten a few fixes for 1.12, as such it's not "easy" or as "exploitable" any more. I hope. Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski