Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Help with design reqs
Hi there,

I've been trying to understand better what are the design requirements..

Well, obviously, I don't get it...

Also, I noticed that, even after having created my first engine, when I go to the same type of engine creating design, it is like, 3 times the price that it was before. I explain, my first engine was a one cylinder engine (Nooooo?!, i'm talking about 1.11 here so...) and cost me about $100 or $120 to produce (that is, after having slided it) back there, in 1901.

When I decided to start over a new engine, I tried the V2 one, but let's say cost were massively high (starting $264 without using the sliders yet)...

So I told myself, bah, that is only because it is your first engine, you need to "learn"... So while designing this one (which was going to be too high priced to be setup in my car) I decided to design a new one cylinder engine, same as the first one, but let's say more powerful...

Well, it started also about $175, before sliders... Is that some kind of bug? Because I find it really weird... I am only in 1907, so it should not be that expensive (also considering my first one was still noted 49 and costing $53 to produce)...

Any help please?
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
(01-15-2014, 06:12 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: Hi there,

I've been trying to understand better what are the design requirements..

Well, obviously, I don't get it...

Also, I noticed that, even after having created my first engine, when I go to the same type of engine creating design, it is like, 3 times the price that it was before. I explain, my first engine was a one cylinder engine (Nooooo?!, i'm talking about 1.11 here so...) and cost me about $100 or $120 to produce (that is, after having slided it) back there, in 1901.

When I decided to start over a new engine, I tried the V2 one, but let's say cost were massively high (starting $264 without using the sliders yet)...

So I told myself, bah, that is only because it is your first engine, you need to "learn"... So while designing this one (which was going to be too high priced to be setup in my car) I decided to design a new one cylinder engine, same as the first one, but let's say more powerful...

Well, it started also about $175, before sliders... Is that some kind of bug? Because I find it really weird... I am only in 1907, so it should not be that expensive (also considering my first one was still noted 49 and costing $53 to produce)...

Any help please?

I have suspicions(guesses) on what design requirements mean, but i would also like to hear exactly what they are.
I suspect its related to labor skill at the very least.
(01-15-2014, 06:20 AM)Arakash Wrote: I have suspicions(guesses) on what design requirements mean, but i would also like to hear exactly what they are.

Do you think this would somehow increse/decrease the design costs? Or the production costs?

Or did you encounter same kind of problem in your games? (I mean with production costs)
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
(01-15-2014, 06:31 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 06:20 AM)Arakash Wrote: I have suspicions(guesses) on what design requirements mean, but i would also like to hear exactly what they are.

Do you think this would somehow increse/decrease the design costs? Or the production costs?

Or did you encounter same kind of problem in your games? (I mean with production costs)

I can wildly speculate (guess) if you like? Smile

My guess would be that it is similar to the relationship between Labour skill on the world map and manufacturing requirements of vehicles, as explained by Eric.
In that case, if your manufac reqs are higher than labour skill, then you get severe penalties to the number of vehicles you produce.

So if i was to guess, i would assume that having a vehicle design reqs higher than the design skill (as shown in reports- Labor skill report) you would get some sort of penalty.

As youve partly said, the penalty is probably either :
Design cost (as you said)
time (longer to design)
lower quality vehicles as an end product
more expensive vehicles as an end product (as you said)

But this is all wild guessing. Im waiting to hear what Eric says is the truth of the matter.
I like your assumptions!

But there should be more difficulties over this....

I explain myself: I chose London (high everything...) and I built there a high everything except technology slider factory. As a matter of facts, I originally built a high everything factory but for some reasons I do not know, cost were like crazy ($ 3M a month, for profits of like 12000, I did not find it accurate or useful so I loaded previous save)... This problem NEVER occured in my last game, based on 1.10 though... So either Eric put some balance here in the new release, but still it's f****** expensive...
Or it is because I play now on normal mode...

On the other hand, I NEVER happen to see this report, and having done it while reading your comment, this is what I found out:
ALL my Engineering and Design skills there are HORRIBLE, so I guess that is why...

So, tadaaaaa, here is a new question, how do I raise them?? (Also, I have to precise my researh, administrative and production skills are ABYSMAL)
(01-15-2014, 07:01 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: I like your assumptions!

But there should be more difficulties over this....

I explain myself: I chose London (high everything...) and I built there a high everything except technology slider factory. As a matter of facts, I originally built a high everything factory but for some reasons I do not know, cost were like crazy ($ 3M a month, for profits of like 12000, I did not find it accurate or useful so I loaded previous save)... This problem NEVER occured in my last game, based on 1.10 though... So either Eric put some balance here in the new release, but still it's f****** expensive...
Or it is because I play now on normal mode...

One relevant thing i can mention. While london is high, there are some cities nearby which are higher and have much higher growth, so i would expect the gap between it and London to be higher in the future.

Leeds beats it by:
A small amount in Infastructure,
A small amount in Labour skill
A huge amount in manufacturing growth

Leeds is equal to it in:
Manufacturing capacity
But this is likely to change FAST due to growth.

So your super expensive factory might be better off there, if you could choose between them.

Edit: Obviously you have transport costs to consider, but purely on factory quality, i think leeds is better.

(01-15-2014, 07:01 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: So, tadaaaaa, here is a new question, how do I raise them?? (Also, I have to precise my researh, administrative and production skills are ABYSMAL)

This is a newly implemented feature, so i quite honestly have no idea.

For most games that include some kind of skill progression, you raise your skill by using it frequently (general EXP systems excluded).

So... i guess doing a lot of research, production and marketing makes you better at it?
I think if you play a game till the 20's 30's or something, you will likely see more clearly how it changes.
Hey, I've been trying to Design many items (Chassis - Engines - GBs) for at least two years, that is, at least 5 of each at the same time, and that for two years and a half.

Well, it did not change anything on the status of HORRIBLE engineering labor skills... Still there...

The only solution I found was to relocate everything in the US (as said on other post) and then to start again designing stuff...

Again, it did not change anything about the labor skills status, but I've seen prices of production going down drastically, as from $ 2200 for a Sedan in London to nearly $ 750 for the same type of car, using the exact same slider strategy, in NYC.

Don't know if this is pertinent or related to anything, just wanted to let you know though...
(01-15-2014, 11:14 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: Hey, I've been trying to Design many items (Chassis - Engines - GBs) for at least two years, that is, at least 5 of each at the same time, and that for two years and a half.

Well, it did not change anything on the status of HORRIBLE engineering labor skills... Still there...

The only solution I found was to relocate everything in the US (as said on other post) and then to start again designing stuff...

Again, it did not change anything about the labor skills status, but I've seen prices of production going down drastically, as from $ 2200 for a Sedan in London to nearly $ 750 for the same type of car, using the exact same slider strategy, in NYC.

Don't know if this is pertinent or related to anything, just wanted to let you know though...

ITs useful information to know. I'm sure we (players) will be able to explain it all at some point.

One idea i just had while designing a vehicle ingame is perhaps you gain more design knowledge faster by deigning harder to design vehicles and components.
So putting a lot of those design slider to the right until you get 4-5 star design requirements components/vehicles.
Yeah, i've been trying that as well...
As a matter of facts, putting all the sliders to the right is exactly What i've been doing, that is, when i explained it...
But it seems that there was no change in the labor status...

Should be cool to have a feedback from Eric on that point!
Design Reqs:
The higher it is, the higher the cost to develop a model, the longer it will take to design, the more engineers needed, and most importantly, the higher the chance of bad results.

As it is now, design image work like this:
If the average of the player's design in that category is higher than the image, increase image a maximum of 0.1 per turn.

Design Image requirements for components fall 1 image point per year. (This may be adjusted in the future)

Visible ratings (Such as Horrible, Good, whatever) is a comparison with the other companies. So if you're in the top 10% you'll have fantastic ratings.

In the near future I will be doing on of the suggestions which allows you to increase or decrease "research" in a particular field. This will mean you'll have to keep some engineers staffed and the image values will increase based on, you guess it, labor skills.

As for price, the model reflect real world prices, geozero pointed out the price of the model T in one thread and how it went from $800/unit to $200/unit, we follow the same model, so your cars are becoming cheaper to create as prices of goods become cheaper. Other factors are involved as well, but I'd have to look them up...
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski