Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.11 crash
Built my first car, saved game, went back to R&D wanting to design a new engine. Saw that only single was available, went to go back to office, and crash.

Playing in normal mode.
If you could include the log file next time that would be VERY helpful!

What do you mean that "Only Single" was available? How was your Engine Design Rating?
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Where do I find the log file? Sorry I also should have posted this in Bugs. Smile
If you click on your start button, then go to the GearCity open beta folder in the start menu you will see a folder named "GearCity Data Folder" click it and it will take you to the data folder. The log is named, "Logfile.log"

And don't worry I'll move the thread sometime soon.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(01-12-2014, 08:55 PM)geozero Wrote: Where do I find the log file? Sorry I also should have posted this in Bugs. Smile

Edit: I see Eric.B answered this one before me Smile

Thats probably another good question for the FAQ.
Im using Windows 7 the log, along with saves, screenshots are in:
C:/Users/(username)/AppData/Roaming/Vent/Gearcity
I cannot find the file.. anywhere. Windows 7 here. Checked Arakash's suggestion still can't find it.

**** never mind ***

you have to select view hidden files to view.
Blame Microsoft, they can't give us a nice accessible and writeable directory across all windows.
My system is busy applying attributes once I opened the folder to view hidden.... it is doing literally 1000's of files and hogged the system. The logfile needs to be somewhere in the game folder and easily accessible IMO.

Just getting to it may crash my system. Sad

I cancelled the view hidden. It was messing the system up. I cannot afford to have the PC go down... Sad
You shouldn't have to unhide the folders if you just follow my steps to get to the folder.

Click start, go to all programs, find GearCity Open Beta, inside that is GearCity Data Folder.

The folder can't be anywhere else, it's the only place I have write access to unless I pay microsoft a few ten thousand dollars, or I bug the user with pop ups asking for permission every once in a while.
(01-12-2014, 09:24 PM)geozero Wrote: My system is busy applying attributes once I opened the folder to view hidden.... it is doing literally 1000's of files and hogged the system. The logfile needs to be somewhere in the game folder and easily accessible IMO.

Just getting to it may crash my system. Sad

I cancelled the view hidden. It was messing the system up. I cannot afford to have the PC go down... Sad

I really don't think its that much of a hassle. Its only a problem if youve never had to do it before.
Ive done some modding and bug reporting for another game and that seems totally standard to me. For that game most of the stuff is under My documents, but in a similar structure.
(01-12-2014, 09:27 PM)Arakash Wrote: I really don't think its that much of a hassle. Its only a problem if youve never had to do it before.
Ive done some modding and bug reporting for another game and that seems totally standard to me. For that game most of the stuff is under My documents, but in a similar structure.

We used to save stuff in My Documents, however this does not work on any computers east of Germany and West of Hawaii... Thus why we have to save it where all application data is supposed to go now days, in the application data folder...

As I said, blame Microsoft. Wink
(01-12-2014, 09:31 PM)Eric.B Wrote:
(01-12-2014, 09:27 PM)Arakash Wrote: I really don't think its that much of a hassle. Its only a problem if youve never had to do it before.

We used to save stuff in My Documents, however this does not work on any computers east of Germany and West of Hawaii... Thus why we have to save it where all application data is supposed to go now days, in the application data folder...

As I said, blame Microsoft. Wink

Thats interesting, i had no idea. I understand your reasoning there.
I lost nearly all my desktop icons and folders including work stuff. Going to do restore now... ugh. This is not good.
(01-12-2014, 09:36 PM)geozero Wrote: I lost nearly all my desktop icons and folders including work stuff. Going to do restore now... ugh. This is not good.

Not sure how you managed that. Just a quick question though, did you try the method I asked you to do? And if you did was the folder still hidden?

My understanding is that it shouldn't be hidden, or it'll give an option to unhide just that folder.

Anyway I'm sorry for any issues I've caused you. Sad
I did a restore but files were still hidden... I finally had to do some more tweaks to un-hide files on desktop... vital work files.

I will see if there is another way to get to the logfile but not likely going to risk a major crash on the system... Smile

Here's that darn logfile..

Attached Files
.log   Logfile.log (Size: 40.97 KB / Downloads: 372)
I think if that specific thing(the show hidden button) is causing you problems, you should stay away from it.
Just Follow Eric's instructions about the start menu, that is far simpler and clearly also much less risky.

That said i had no idea it was a problem, ive had all my folders on "show hidden files and folders" for years.
I dont think ill ever mention that again, it was clearly a mistake. Sorry if it caused you any problems.