Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[FIXED]Less Clicks Suggestion
I suggest cleaning up GUI or doing something that eliminates clicking, because after a while it becomes tedious.

I find myself wanting to see some data all the time and it is usually buried in 3-5 clicks yet I think could be displayed in the main window office picture (which BTW I really love the look of that, the grandfather clock for end turn is pure genius). I digress.

So I suggest making the cabinet space on the right (that takes you to save games, etc) smaller and adding a chalk board where some vital stats can be placed. For example I want to know at a quick glance what my sales in each city were in terms of units.

This chalk board might also come with a couple of buttons that bring you to certain stats quickly, like how many cars are being produced in each city, which distribution centers are profitable, etc

I made a sample image but do not know how to upload.

[Image: images.html]
(01-09-2014, 08:09 PM)geozero Wrote: I suggest cleaning up GUI or doing something that eliminates clicking, because after a while it becomes tedious.

I find myself wanting to see some data all the time and it is usually buried in 3-5 clicks yet I think could be displayed in the main window office picture (which BTW I really love the look of that, the grandfather clock for end turn is pure genius). I digress.

So I suggest making the cabinet space on the right (that takes you to save games, etc) smaller and adding a chalk board where some vital stats can be placed. For example I want to know at a quick glance what my sales in each city were in terms of units.

This chalk board might also come with a couple of buttons that bring you to certain stats quickly, like how many cars are being produced in each city, which distribution centers are profitable, etc

I made a sample image but do not know how to upload.

[Image: images.html]

On the image thing:
Your using the right tags, but you need to actually link a image(png,jpeg etc), rather than just a webpage(html)
For example, the location of that image on that webpage you linked i got by either right clicking then selecting view image or right clicking and selecting copy image location.
The image seems quite small though, the reason for that is beyond my knowledge.
http://geozero.com/About/Contact_Info/im...enshot.jpg

Ill respond to the rest later when ive got time, but im very interested in UI suggestions
Got it... yeah the image was small on purpose as it messes my site up. I wish we could just upload directly here instead of link. Anyway, you can still see the chalk board at the right of the door. That is where you could place some vital turn stats, maybe customizable. I know this is probably a tall order for programming, but the chalk board would still look fine in the office look and the data is vital to avoid 5-10 more clicks back and forth. The game becomes rather tedious and I am afraid that it may turn off people if it is a click fest.

I have beta tested games before and one thing we always strive is for an easy and intuitive GUI and less clicks. Getting the user to where they want faster has to be something worth considering.

Notwithstanding the above, you have me as a future buyer for sure. I am only bringing these ideas, which IMO is the point of a BETA, and in hopes that these ideas provide ways to make the most successful game.
You're a year late and a few thousand short. The office art is 100% finished. No changes can be made to the scenes. They're static images. So it would require them all to be rerendered. (Something I can't afford to do right now)

However I'm always interested in reducing clicks. So ideas are welcomed.

What about using hot keys to pull up specific information? A few keys are reserved for state changes, however we have the entire CTRL+Function key combos open...

It may even be possible to program hot keys.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I understand when it comes to budget and time.

How about a monthly report that can be turned on/off by the user, and perhaps even customized.

In this report you would get vital information such as sales by city, by car models, profit margins, factory output, etc. Each city "name" could be a hot link to the map.

In this way you could get all the data you need or want each month and have the option to turn off the entire feature.

I find myself wanting to get this data every month so I am clicking away back and forth. Probably do 50 clicks between data and maps, and closing the branch window pop-up to get to the next city, etc.

In addition to the above, yeah any hot keys are a welcome. Though I think a monthly master report is really a better way to go, even better than the data to pop up on a chalk board in the office window.
(01-10-2014, 07:57 PM)geozero Wrote: I understand when it comes to budget and time.

How about a monthly report that can be turned on/off by the user, and perhaps even customized.

In this report you would get vital information such as sales by city, by car models, profit margins, factory output, etc. Each city "name" could be a hot link to the map.

In this way you could get all the data you need or want each month and have the option to turn off the entire feature.

I find myself wanting to get this data every month so I am clicking away back and forth. Probably do 50 clicks between data and maps, and closing the branch window pop-up to get to the next city, etc.

In addition to the above, yeah any hot keys are a welcome. Though I think a monthly master report is really a better way to go, even better than the data to pop up on a chalk board in the office window.

I think geozero makes an interesting point here.
For a lot of turn based games when you pass a turn you get some kind of dedicated report to let you know roughly whats happened.
I would be careful putting too much in it though, if you want more detailed information you can check other screens, but that one should be a summary.

I made the suggestion in another thread, but i think its highly appropriate for this turn report your suggesting.
The "Profits per model per city" (which compares your overall expenses to your sales price for every model in every city) would give you huge amount of very relevant information if you were given it every turn.
So lemme get this straight. You guys want a report to pop up at the end of each turn detailing some information. This report can be toggled on and off?

Give me a good bullet point list of what you'd expect to be on this report and I could probably make it happen.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(01-11-2014, 08:16 AM)Eric.B Wrote: So lemme get this straight. You guys want a report to pop up at the end of each turn detailing some information. This report can be toggled on and off?

Give me a good bullet point list of what you'd expect to be on this report and I could probably make it happen.

That sounds about right yes.
You should be able to open it at any time though, even after youve closed it.

Judging by the bullet list below which shows a lot of per city data, im thinking of a large per city table like the ones which are already ingame.
Unlike the other ones, it has a number of columns showing each of the pieces of information below. No idea how practical that is, but its an suggestion.

Here is a bullet point of everything mentioned by me and Geozero so far you requested:
Geozero:
- Sales by city
- Sales by car models (what you already see when you pass a turn)
- Factory output (probably per city)
Me:
- Profits per city - Lump sum and per unit
- Overall Profits per model ("Monthly cost and revenue", one of the generated reports)

Im feeling more guilty the more things i list here Sad i think i'm giving you a lot of work here.

I also think, looking at that list, ive broken my "This should just be a summary" rule. That is a lot of information.
What if I make these as reports. Then create an "End Turn" report that is customizable in the sales log? Then you can place any five report in that report and it'll come up at the end of your turns.

Quote:Im feeling more guilty the more things i list here i think i'm giving you a lot of work here.
Don't worry about it, If I wasn't working on this I'd be working on something else. Smile
(01-11-2014, 11:31 AM)Eric.B Wrote: What if I make these as reports. Then create an "End Turn" report that is customizable in the sales log? Then you can place any five report in that report and it'll come up at the end of your turns.

Quote:Im feeling more guilty the more things i list here i think i'm giving you a lot of work here.
Don't worry about it, If I wasn't working on this I'd be working on something else. Smile

I would ask for a report that can be customized in user preference, that is you can decide to have it on/off, and decide some key areas of information to include in it. Like a pivot table in excel.

Then also have a button in the sales log so you can bring it up any time after you close it.

These options give you the best of all worlds, and allows the user to have a summary or more detail report as needed.

IMHO more user options like this really bring the player into the business part of the game. The immersion is as deep as they want and makes replayability greater.