Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help with trim system / new model year
Hello there,

I don't get any of the trim system... I read on a previous post that replacing an existing vehicule wih a "new" one (evolution of the first, or new year model) will now have for effect to replace also the production and distribution channels, which should save me, but still...

I do not get the difference between new trim, and new model year...

I assume new model is... Well... New model... Whereas new trim should be the new evolution of the previous model (or make year)...

What is the difference in-game?

Thanks in advance!
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
(01-02-2014, 03:21 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: Hello there,

I don't get any of the trim system... I read on a previous post that replacing an existing vehicule wih a "new" one (evolution of the first, or new year model) will now have for effect to replace also the production and distribution channels, which should save me, but still...

I do not get the difference between new trim, and new model year...

I assume new model is... Well... New model... Whereas new trim should be the new evolution of the previous model (or make year)...

What is the difference in-game?

Thanks in advance!

My understanding of Trim as a general concept is that its referring to the cosmetic parts of your car.
So when i make a new Trim, im making a car with a different look to the original, but is essentially the same car.
Wikipedia has a lot of examples listed of this kind of thing : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_package

Im not sure how useful it is as ive never used the function, but ive heard it can be especially useful for selling the same vehicle to two different continents. So you produce the vehicle locally and dont have to deal with massive transportation costs.(especially accidental ones)
In my mind, trim in the game is used as in "Model Year" definition, but you may be right.

I used the New Year model but I think I did NOT benefit for already having designed the car. I mean, Designing a whole car took me some time and money, but when I click on this buttons, it is even longer to design than the original one was... I assume it should be cheaper and quicker as the first model is there, only changes the parts. Not sure...

That is why I used the new trim buttons, which allowed me to produce more quickly the same car as before, but with upgraded parts (let's say I "upgraded" the first car)... It worked more or less, my trim being wonderfully called "2", car is now name xxxxx Hamburger 2 (I know, i know...)

;-)
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
(01-02-2014, 05:46 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: In my mind, trim in the game is used as in "Model Year" definition, but you may be right.

I used the New Year model but I think I did NOT benefit for already having designed the car. I mean, Designing a whole car took me some time and money, but when I click on this buttons, it is even longer to design than the original one was... I assume it should be cheaper and quicker as the first model is there, only changes the parts. Not sure...

That is why I used the new trim buttons, which allowed me to produce more quickly the same car as before, but with upgraded parts (let's say I "upgraded" the first car)... It worked more or less, my trim being wonderfully called "2", car is now name xxxxx Hamburger 2 (I know, i know...)

;-)

You don't have to worry about criticism of car names from me, my most successful car ive been posting about in General discussions is creatively called "Compact 1". Its earth shattering successor? "Compact 2". Sad i know Smile

On the trim system as you describe it, i wonder if that's WAD or if there is some depth to the system we aren't aware of at the moment. (Hidden differences between a trim and a new model year)

One question from a thought that came to mind.
Does the new Trim car your created have the design year of the original vehicle? or of the year you designed the new trim?
If it kept the design year of the original vehicle (following my thought it was supposed to be a purely cosmetic change), then that would be a serious disadvantage. (It would likely reduce sales)
Nope, it became the new trim design year, hopefully!

By the way, what is WAD? (Sorry, I may lack some vocabulary as I'm french!)
(01-02-2014, 06:14 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: Nope, it became the new trim design year, hopefully!

By the way, what is WAD? (Sorry, I may lack some vocabulary as I'm french!)

Working as designed.
Its just slang to say the feature might be intentionally designed by the game dev's to be that way(and perhaps with good reasons).
Instead of it being some kind of mistake/bug/something to improve.
Thanks!
Trims are variants of a model, say for instance if you want to put a v6 and a v8 into a car, you'd use trims.

Model Years are what you use to make a complete redesign of a car while retaining the same name.

The years of the trims change based on when you design them because you can have multiple year designs of a trim. In real life for example the 2005 Pontiac GTO (Monaro) switched from the LS1 to LS2 engine without changing the chassis/body. You see this all the time (92' Caprice comes to mind)

Some of the values/settings/costs need to be tweaked, and the image data needs to be transferred (trims will get the same image as the base model, new model years will gain/loss some based off the base) . But that's it in a nutshell. In 1.10 and probably 1.11 and 1.12, They do the same thing but Model Years allow name duplication.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski