Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much access to engine types should we have?
(06-05-2014, 07:22 PM)RatAttack Wrote: Why would you want it limited? If the game does not have built in ways to limit it then why should we not be able to build them?

If the game lets me build a V8 and fit in the same parts that a much smaller engine fits then there are other issues than just being able to build a V8 at a time when I should possibly not be making a V8.

The other thing is what time line do you go by if you want to just limit by a time line, if you look up the history of a certain car manufacturer that is just their time line. Every other car manufacturer has their own time line. So to me it only makes sense that we would be able to build our timeline.

I think the real issue research and design, instead of trying to explain it go download the demo for cars incorporated design a car in there and you will see what I am trying to say.

In cars incorporated when you design an engine you can improve some aspects of that for your next engine or a completely new engine. Here is a quote from wikipedia “The T engine was produced continuously from September 27, 1908, through August 4, 1941, exactly 12,000 days. This makes it one of the longest engines in series production, “

That is Ford's timeline for that engine, I can do that or have the sense of that in Cars Incorporated, I have no idea how to do that in Gear City. To me that is why the research part feels so disconnected.

Like i said earlier in response to freeman who posted a few unrelated research suggestions in their post, i would suggest you start a new thread on those topics, where i and im sure everyone would be happy to discuss it.

On the actual topic you asked:
"Why would you want it limited? "
"If the game does not have built in ways to limit it then why should we not be able to build them?"

Well actually, you seem to be unaware of the "built in ways" the game currently has to limit technology.
Ive mentioned some of this in my FAQ, in the question about "why cant i access X component"(Q21)
Ill just summarise for you that access to components is dictated by:
The skill of your team in that specific area(engine for e.g.)
The release date of the component(things have to be released before you can use them)
The skill requirement of the component. (which decreases yearly/quarterly to represent the tech becoming more commonplace.)

As to why its there, i think there a few reasons.

The first is an attempt to approximate the history and reality of automotive manufacture.
I obviously cant comment on the history myself, as i didnt design it, but clearly the release dates hint at this sort of thing.

The Second is Progression
Its probably a word youv'e heard used before talking about games. Progression means that during your gameplay, you get access to different and new things, usually as a reward for either doing things or just spending time in the game.
At the moment progression exists via the release dates of components and also through the release dates of body types and vehicle types.
Having new components become available to you through your own research that are not available to other companies is another form of this.
You've likely experienced this before ingame if youv'e ever played a 1900 game. In 1900, you dont have immediate access to 16 cylinders. You gain access by raising your skill ratings through designing components and the research team system.
The level of skill required also goes down over time, to represent the technology becoming more common place.

If your still having difficulty understanding progression, think of gaining levels in RPG's and Tech Trees in Strategy games. These are forms of progression.

I also shared another reason i think it should be limited, which you may have missed.
I think there should be various starting scenarios which give you different access to different and more advanced components at the start, depending on what the people familiar with history think is appropriate.
So put simply:
-Standard scenario would give you basic access, but require research for anything unique/strange at the time.
-High Tech Engine Scenario might give you immediate access to a number of strange engine designs, representing a group of pioneers in the field.
etc etc. (many other options for this)

I think, in this game, having these starting scenarios is a better idea than simply giving all new companies access to everything.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much access to engine types should we have? - by Arakash - 06-06-2014, 12:22 AM