Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tutorials Format
(02-24-2014, 11:23 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: Dude, I completely agree with you.
If you read my original post again you'll see that I never said there shouldn't be tutorials, only that I don't use them.
In fact, I said that I will be going against my usual MO and using Erics tutorials so that I can offer feedback. That's because I recognise that they are an important part of good game development and that my dislike of them is rather unusual. =)
Yep, i realised that too Smile
I didn't think you were arguing against them, i just thought it would be a good idea for me to back up my appreciation for tutorials with some discussion on the ideas behind designing games, rather than just my own personal opinion.
As you may already know, i go out of my way to provide examples for most of my posts Smile that was more of the same

In retrospect, i suppose it would've been more appropriate to include that in my OP rather than a follow up post, so sorry about that.

(02-24-2014, 11:46 PM)Eric.B Wrote: Personally I never use tutorials unless the game is absolutely obscure to me. Like nethack or dwarf fortress... Then again I love to lose, so I am a bit weird I guess. Smile
Hmm.. It looks like you and Frankschtaldt have this opinion in common Smile

On the win/lose thing, which you brought up.
If i have full understanding of what im doing wrong, what i can do to fix it and how i can improve, then im happy to lose a game. In the opposite scenario, it really bothers me.
So for me, its less about winning or losing, its more important to get good feedback from the game and explanation beforehand on what is happening, so i can figure out what im doing wrong and hopefully improve.

Using Crusader Kings 2 as an example, whenever im losing the game, i can usually figure out exactly what is happening and i can think of many ways i can improve my game and strategy to avoid it in the future.
Usually it is because i overlooked an alliance/family relation, underestimated my opponent(not checking all their holdings) or just got really overconfident. The AI in that game loves to beat you with a stick whenever you look even slightly weak, so they can really punish you for overconfidence.

Messages In This Thread
Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-24-2014, 10:39 AM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Eric.B - 02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-24-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Frankschtaldt - 02-24-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-24-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Frankschtaldt - 02-24-2014, 10:19 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-24-2014, 10:40 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Frankschtaldt - 02-24-2014, 11:23 PM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Arakash - 02-25-2014, 02:49 AM
RE: Tutorials Format - by Eric.B - 02-24-2014, 11:46 PM