Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model T Design challenge (save included)
(The Save included in this post will not work in the current version 1.13)

Ive created this post with a save(so you can start in 1907) included to see if anyone can design something close to or the same as the Model T, one of the most successful vehicles in the period covered by the early part of Gearcity. Some specific suggestions on how its stats should look are at the end of the post.

The save puts you in January 1907, with 1.4mil dollars savings. This should give you enough time to design a vehicle for 1908, even with a long vehicle testing process.
Ive also done some basic R&D work in 1900 so you can actually access all the design options that are available in 1907. (If you don't design any chassis before 1907 your company does not have the technical skill to make ladder frames and i wanted to have that option)

Post some screenshots or describe the vehicle you ended up making and how close you got to a Model T.

Warning: If you want to produce/sell in that save, you'll have to make another cheap branch and cheap factory (200-300k factory), as i demolished them to save on costs when the company went into hibernation for 7 years of the game. Don't forget to use some lobbying to save on factory construction cost.

Here are some basic stats of what you are aiming for. (taken from wikipedia)

Overall vehicle requirements:
Vehicle type is probably touring.
(Other Model T types on sale in 1909 according to wiki was town car and coupe. I would also probably accept compact car, as that seems to cover most economy vehicles of the time.)
Weight: 540kg
13–25 mpg after vehicle design.
Needs to be a very cheap vehicle. Im unsure a good figure for the production cost, but the Sales price in 1909 is listed as $850 for a touring model.
(Factoring in the fact that Ford is somewhat famous for producing the Model T at low profit margins and sometimes even a loss and other expenses in Gearcity like marketing/branch costs, the production cost should be close to that and ideally much lower.)

Chassis:
FR layout
Length: 134 in (3,404 mm)
Leaf springs

Engine:
2.9L Straight 4
20hp
If you really want to go all out and replicate its bore/stroke..
Bore: 3 3⁄4 inches (95.25 mm)
Stroke: 4 inches (101.6 mm)
(this is actually somewhat hard ingame, 2.9L Straight 4 engines usually have much more HP than that.)

Gearbox:
2 speed.

Here is my First attempt.
(youll notice i edited together the R&D screen and Showroom screen to give the most information with one screenshot)

The vehicle size looks a bit bugged, as the two areas dont agree(ill write a new bug report on that). Its either too long or too short, either way, it is not the same size as the Model T.
Its also too heavy, but i think i can slash down on the weight a bit more.
Its price is decent at least. A fair first attempt i hope Smile

I would love to make its dependability higher, but the material/component/paint sliders in vehicle design are very expensive. It wouldve cost me another $200-300 to take it from 2-4 stars)

One of the biggest challenges was actually making a 20HP 4C 2.9L engine with that stroke and bore.
In Gearcity, it has to be a really terrible engine to have that low HP in 1908 with that much capacity. Almost all of the sliders effecting performance had to be on their lowest to reach that.
Its interesting though even with such terrible sliders, it produces more torque than my 1.7L single cylinder design i usually use.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.rar   1908 Challenge save.rar (Size: 447.74 KB / Downloads: 449)
I don't generally like bringing up several month old posts, especially as one of my first posts, but I haven't been around long enough to know where to put save files or anything. I tried searching and couldn't figure it out still. I really want to try to use this save file, because at least that way I can get past 1902 without going bankrupt!
This save file will not work in the latest version of the game.
Try reading http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1059 it seems to be filled with a bunch of good information for starters. Smile

As for loading save files, save the file to your desktop, go to start, all programs, GearCity Open Beta, click the GearCity Data Folder, drag the save file into the SaveGame folder, and unzip it.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Awesome thank you! Don't know how you have time to make an awesome game and deal with noobs like myself, but keep up the good work!

Is it sad that I can't wait to be able to start in 1980 and build a minivan empire? lol
(04-08-2014, 10:03 PM)Remaggib Wrote: Awesome thank you! Don't know how you have time to make an awesome game and deal with noobs like myself, but keep up the good work!

Is it sad that I can't wait to be able to start in 1980 and build a minivan empire? lol

I wonder that my self sometimes... Wink

Minivan empire? first time I heard someone aspiring to build a fleet of those!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
If I build them, they will sell... Maybe. As long as it's not like the Homer [Image: 2s0jsdw.jpg]
Perhaps i should consider making an update to this thread since its a few versions old.
For now, i think ill just mark it as an obsolete save.