Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cool car Saturday
Welcome to cool car Saturday your weekly source for interesting vechicals and their back stories.

For our first edition we will be covering one of my favorite cars from history the 1949 ford. [Image: fordbig.jpg] [Image: Ford%201949.jpg]

The 1949 Ford is generally known as the car that helped save Ford after its initial post war crisis, with the death of both Henry Ford's son, Edsel, and himself, as well as the losses from world war 2. It was the first fully new entry level design from the big three. The car was a major step forward in entry level design do to its low streamlined look which earned it the name "shoe box" due to its compact design. Original options included several levels of trim mostly increasing chrome. Other options included radio, heater, the engine, either L straight head v-6 or the Flat head v-8 generating up 100 horse power. and last but not least the brand new overdrive system, (an overdrive is a mode in some transmissions that allows cars with a drive shaft, to have the wheels spin faster then the drive shaft. Or in other words the wheels are spinning faster then the revolutions the engine is preforming. This is used mainly for medium high speeds such as 60 to 70 miles per hour, or about 95-110khms. which allows the engine to be much softer sounding and more fuel effient.) Anyways the 1949 Ford would go down in history as the car that saved Ford and started a new generation and look that would define American cars in the 50s.
(10-26-2014, 12:39 AM)Rad Wrote: the 1949 Ford would go down in history as the car that saved Ford

Now I know who to blame! LOL
It's interesting to look at production figures in the US around this time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Autom...on_Figures

Ford jumped from 430,198 1948 production year to 1,118,308 in 1949 production year.

But I would argue that the Ford F-1 was just as important, if not more important than the 1949. It would be interesting to find detailed breakdown of the sales numbers for the F-series (released in 1948) and the 1949. I'd imagine the F-series had a higher margin, thus it is really what "Saved" ford until the release of the Mustang in 64-65.

Quote:Now I know who to blame! LOL
I was a GM man until the government killed Pontiac. And Saab died off. That being said:

Ford hasn't been too bad as of late. I drove a Focus ST when I was working in parts. I really liked it. I just wish they'd fix Lincoln by making a rear wheeled full sized luxury sedan. And make another true roadster like the probe. Went off on a tangent. Anyhoo If I were going to buy a new vehicle for <$25,000 USD. Ford would totally be top 3 on my list.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(10-26-2014, 08:23 AM)Eric.B Wrote: But I would argue that the Ford F-1 was just as important, if not more important than the 1949. It would be interesting to find detailed breakdown of the sales numbers for the F-series (released in 1948) and the 1949. I'd imagine the F-series had a higher margin, thus it is really what "Saved" ford until the release of the Mustang in 64-65.
yeah one of the more interesting things is the fact used this styling throughout their cars most notably the mercury were all spin offs of the 1949 ford. But interior difference is quite amazing as I've been in each.
In this installment of cool car saturday, The Buick Y-Job!

[Image: 800px-BuickY-Job%281938%291.JPG]

[Image: 1938-YJob-blueback.jpg]

The Buick Y-Job is considered the first true concept car, while there were some so called dream cars before it, such as the original Chrsyler Airflow it was not intended to be a production car and the design team was let free to do what they want.

The Buick Y-Job was first envisioned by Harley Earl, who in 1937 first
Envisioned the car after being challenged by the Buick Company to make a Buick he would drive, as he only drove Cadillacs. The car was designed to test public opinion and test new modern features.

The completed car was unveiled in 1938 and was 58 inches high (less than five feet) and featured a 141HP engine. New features included hydraulic power windows and doors, wrap around windshield, Power operated hidden convertible top. And power operated concealed headlights see in closed in picture 1 and open in picture 2 however, these were first seen in the 1937 Cord.

The Buick Y-Jobs influence was immense and major however, as many car shows at the time refused to show a concept only car. Harley Earl decided to use the car as his personal vehicle as a way to attract public interest.

The car's influence of design and style can be seen throughout the 1940s and early 50s and features such as power windows and electric convertible tops were used not only in GM cars but in Fords, and Chyslers.
The cool thing about the y-job was its straight 8, Although the late 30s was sort of the tail end of the straight 8 craze, still remains one of my favorite engine configurations.

I think overall the vehicle does look a lot like a Cord 812
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(11-01-2014, 11:02 AM)Eric.B Wrote: The cool thing about the y-job was its straight 8, Although the late 30s was sort of the tail end of the straight 8 craze, still remains one of my favorite engine configurations.

I think overall the vehicle does look a lot like a Cord 812

I'm a massive I6 fan (I miss my E36 Sad ) but I could be convinced to do all sorts of things for the chance to own, or even drive a I8!

Personally, I think the coolest thing about the Y-job is it's name. That and the fact that it's absolutely gorgeous.
I love those old cars.