Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military and Civilian Contracting suggestions!
(11-05-2014, 03:21 AM)shadow Wrote: just these days everything seems to be in metric.

That's because, out of the 196 recognized countries in the world today. 193 of them use the metric system and the three that don't all use their own.
The US is such a huge market that is has to be catered for if possible but the 193 metric countries are even bigger so I makes sense if you can only do one, you do metric.
I agree with that. And here in uk we use both systems now!
I was taught imperial measures in school and since leaving I've learnt metric.
would be good in game option if you could choose which system you wanted ?
Totally, however, in most other parts of the game both units are shown side by side. For consistency sake and to save Eric having to add menu options it's probably best to keep doing that.
Fair point.
what do you think about being able to build your own tanks , not just engines for them ?
(11-05-2014, 03:21 AM)shadow Wrote: I do everything in feet and inches.
just these days everything seems to be in metric.
thanks for clearing it up.
Just to mention that the game is getting better and more in depth with every release.
Thank you !

I've met a lot of people who don't even know what metric system is. Let alone how to use it.

Quote:I know we get to build engines for military vehicles , but wouldn't it be great to be able to build them from scratch? Like vauxhall and leyland used too in the uk?
just a thought , wondering what everyone else thinks ?
That is the plan, the system is there, however VENT won't be doing it officially unless there is a multiplayer expansion. But everything is there for the modding community to do it. And after I do the entire modding system/tools around 1.22, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these mods pop up.

(11-05-2014, 05:52 AM)Frankschtaldt Wrote:
(11-05-2014, 03:21 AM)shadow Wrote: just these days everything seems to be in metric.

That's because, out of the 196 recognized countries in the world today. 193 of them use the metric system and the three that don't all use their own.
The US is such a huge market that is has to be catered for if possible but the 193 metric countries are even bigger so I makes sense if you can only do one, you do metric.

I only have demographics up until the end of June, but US were about 50% of our sales. While the other 193 nations are bigger population wise and GDP wise in total, you have to take into account the gaming populations.

Outside of the EU (which is about 1:1 GDP wise with the US) what other nations make up the bulk of PC game purchases? Africa? I think we sold a couple dozen in South Africa, 1 in Nigera... Asia? China, Korea, and Japan are big markets, but until we do localization they don't exist. South America? We actually get quite a few sales there, however the per capita is still so widely displaced that we're a big ticket item. Thus not really tapping into the general population.

Of the 193, 45 can easily be written off as unable to buy the game. I come to that conclusion by looking at lowest percapita of nations with PC ownership rates of less than 8% of the population. Strip out the EU member nations, and you're left with 120 nations with 50% of the worlds wealth, but 80% of the population... If we were to strip out japan, korea, china, aussie, new zealand, and a few oil states the per capita plummets, but as a collective they're still a powerful buying force (2/7th's of the world GDP).

So it makes sense to target the non-western world. The other 100 nations or so left on my list. But there are a few problems. 1) Low PC ownership (specially ones that can run the game) 2) Limited purchasing power (thus increase piracy rates) 3) The need for localization.

2 on my list is not really a problem. I find that people will support a game if given the opportunity. And if not, it's not a lost sale.

1 Would be over come with time. But it still limits the buying pool.

3 is the major issue. There are so many languages in the world and most people still don't speak English. Which means the game has to be translated and that is pretty costly as I've found out recently... 100 units per language would have to sell just to break even on translating the game, and that's not including any third parties taking out some of the revenues.

This post has gotten longer than I want! biggrin IN summation. From a software business perspective you should only focus on US, EU, and North Asia. If the pie were sliced each would be 33% of GDP. North Asia requires translations (which will come after full release) which means the pie is 50/50 for the time being. Thus metric and SAE have equal importance.

The other nations of the world are a post secondary thought. This does not mean we won't cater to them. In fact I'm always amazed and humbled to see people all over the world play the game. But economically their priorities only grow ~after~ the product has matured and is looking for new markets.

Hopefully that gives you some insight in the thought process of most video games and localizations/units. And sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. Sad

(11-05-2014, 06:06 AM)shadow Wrote: I agree with that. And here in uk we use both systems now!
I was taught imperial measures in school and since leaving I've learnt metric.
would be good in game option if you could choose which system you wanted ?

It's even worse here in the US, as the general population is barely taught and never use metric system. However the STEM population only uses metric. As such we're stuck with one of the issues in the game. Half the stuff is in metric, half is in SAE, because I have a hard time thinking in just one or the other. :\

(11-05-2014, 06:21 AM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: Totally, however, in most other parts of the game both units are shown side by side. For consistency sake and to save Eric having to add menu options it's probably best to keep doing that.

We will keep it metric(SAE) up until I get to the point where I'm working on pointless and trivial things. At that point i'll consider making a menu toggle option for units. As it is now, so much of the core needs to be worked on or fixed.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski