Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[$200] #315 Speed Up Hash Maps | Requires #314
Price: $200

Description: In GearCity, we use a lot of hashmaps. These improve the performance of the game over what we used to have. However, GearCity is using the first iteration of STL's hashmaps. There is a faster way.

After moving to C++17, we'll have the opportunity to replace the STL hashmaps with The Parallel Hashmap. I used these in AeroMogul and saw a significant performance gain. I can't say what the exact performance implications would be in GearCity, but I suspect at least a 5 to 10% improvement in turn times.

Requirements: #314

Required By: None

Concerns: None

Eric's Opinion: The performance improvements in AeroMogul were so significant that I added bounties #313 and #314 to get this and Bounty #316 into the system.

Links: It doesn't happen unless you contribute!

Benchmarks: https://martin.ankerl.com/2022/08/27/has...ults-table See "std::unordered_map | std::hash" for what we have. And "gtl::flat_hash_map | std::hash" for what we'd replace to.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski