Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Easily Switching/Seeing Impact of Engine and Gearbox
Checking the FBS List, I don't see anything that really touches on this besides perhaps the Trim System Revised (#53), whose funding threshold is above current milestone amounts.  So, creating a thread for it.

When I'm refreshing a model, I often run into the limitation that when I'm creating a new generation, I get the, "Hey, sorry, you used the assisted designer" notice when I'm designing and try to go back to select a different engine or gearbox.  I've yet to figure out exactly what triggers this, as I always use the advanced designer, but it seems to always happen when I create a new generation, and never when I create a new model from scratch.

But I often want to go back and tweak the engine or gearbox.  Maybe I'm trying to switch from my old I4 to my new I3 to reduce costs but the I3 is too slow so I want to go with my new I4 after all.  Maybe I want to see if I can get better mileage with engine A or engine B.  Maybe I try a gearbox I outsourced but it turns out it has low top speed gearing so I want to switch to a different one.

So part A of this is making it possible to just switch the engine and gearbox reliably without having to restart the entire "new generation" workflow.  I know there's probably some technical reason this isn't already possible, but that's part of the idea of the FBS, isn't it?  Funding the work required to make things smoother when previously they may have been technically limited?

The other, part B of this, is that it would be really cool to be able to see on the Vehicle Modification Screen when you're choosing the chassis/engine/gearbox, what the resulting top speed, 0-60 acceleration time, and fuel economy would be, assuming you keep the same design that you used the prior generation.  Maybe even with the difference versus the previous generation or prior trim (for example, +5 mph, -1.2 seconds 0-60, +0.3 mpg).  That would give a great indicator of whether you're making the type of generational improvement you are aiming for, in a quick feedback cycle.

Overall, these all fall into arguably my top wishlist item (which #53 also may support), which is streamlining the generational-refresh cycle.  I'm hoping perhaps this would not be quite as big of a chunk as #53, particularly just Part A of it.
Sorry, I missed this thread.

Quote:When I'm refreshing a model, I often run into the limitation that when I'm creating a new generation, I get the, "Hey, sorry, you used the assisted designer" notice when I'm designing and try to go back to select a different engine or gearbox. I've yet to figure out exactly what triggers this, as I always use the advanced designer, but it seems to always happen when I create a new generation, and never when I create a new model from scratch.

If I am reading this correctly, it sounds like a bug. You get this message when trying to switch from advanced designer back to assisted designer. I can't transcribe the advanced slider positions back to assisted slider positions. Did you open an assisted designer or a modified design at any point while trying to alter the vehicle design?

I think the trim revisions obsoletes this idea. So it won't come in as a Bounty. I'm trying to avoid major duplicate work that will be completely wiped away in the future.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I have enabled the Format button for vehicles when you access the advance designer via the modification windows. Changes will be in the next update.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
That's exciting! Definitely a nice quality-of-life improvement, and one I wasn't expecting, either.

[-]
Quick Reply