Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Generic Designs" Checkbox
(06-18-2023, 02:21 AM)JC_Denton Wrote: I now have better statistics on this. Still on my new map, but now running in 2nd Gear. Most importantly, I wrote a query to get the overall sales by type:

(...)

On the one hand, I'd kind of like to see more correlation; I'm not sure luxury companies realized luxury sedans were something they'd probably be good at.

On the other hand, there isn't a 1-1 mapping between behaviors and car types, and maybe if I zeroed out the non-luxury behaviors of my luxury manufacturers, the correlation would be stronger (IIRC I used the Luxury Manufacturer preset from the mod tools; notably they also have a 0.6 Safety rating). And these are overall stats, which are subject to the popularity of various types and when the companies were in business (although I didn't see any stronger correlations among vans/pickups/luxuries when I zoomed in on the 1970s).

On the third hand, when I look at various types, there _are_ companies that focus on certain types. For some inexplicable reason, 68% of all Jeeps are Compact Cars (their preferences were not set... so they must have been randomly assigned full fuel economy?). American Austin, appropriately, is in second place there with 34% Compact, and the one company I set to focus heavily (0.8) on fuel, Midget Motors, is in 6th for Compact. So that category looks compelling. Sedans range from 1.7% to 51% depending on the company. White, supposedly a truck company, instead led the world in Phaetons. Really powerful phaetons with impractically large cargo areas? I hope so.

I might add a report showing this to my Executive Secretary utility; I'm not sure how actionable it is, but it's an interesting high-level market snapshot. And maybe it could lead to a nice newspaper entry; "Jeep leads compact car sales for 26th year in a row, and 41 of the last 45."

Edit: Actually, Jeep probably hasn't lead compact car sales that often. It's 68% of their sales, not so much because they dominate that market, as because they can't sell anything else. Other companies have higher cumulative Compact sales. Although about 30% of their models are Compact Cars, so they do have an affinity for them.

I´m not sure why nobody has replied to your posts. Highly interesting findings. I have made similar observations, yet never took the time to write it down. Thank you for sharing, JC! I agree with you on some newspaper entries - that would give the newspaper some relevance.

Messages In This Thread
"Generic Designs" Checkbox - by JC_Denton - 05-21-2023, 01:57 AM
RE: "Generic Designs" Checkbox - by Eric.B - 05-21-2023, 02:08 AM
RE: "Generic Designs" Checkbox - by JC_Denton - 05-21-2023, 11:12 AM
RE: "Generic Designs" Checkbox - by Eric.B - 05-22-2023, 12:06 AM
RE: "Generic Designs" Checkbox - by JC_Denton - 05-23-2023, 09:10 PM
RE: "Generic Designs" Checkbox - by JC_Denton - 06-18-2023, 02:21 AM
RE: "Generic Designs" Checkbox - by kurmolke - 07-31-2023, 08:09 AM
RE: "Generic Designs" Checkbox - by Eric.B - 07-31-2023, 10:50 AM