Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can maps have custom DYK (Did You Know) Files?
I've added a custom Did You Know file to my map, specifically a "dyk_English.xml" file in the folder "<install dir>\media\Maps\<Map Name>\scripts\", but the entries I removed are still showing up in-game, and the new ones aren't.  If I edit  "<install dir>\scripts\dyk_English.xml", the changes show up, but that isn't distributable as part of a map.

According to https://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php?id=m...:dykeditor

You may use the Mod Data Tool to override loading the default DYK files.

The game looks for DKY_LanguageName.xml where LanguageName is the same file name of the localization file being used. For example, if English.xml localization is being used, the game will look for DYK_English.xml in the Scripts folder.

Mod Files do not have this limitation, they will only look for the selected DYK file defined in the Mod File.

However, the "Mod Data Tool" page doesn't exist (should there be an FBS entry for completing those unfinished wiki pages?).  In my MapFileForGame.xml, I have:

<Scripts>/scripts/</Scripts>
    <CityArt>../Base City Map/CityArt/CityArt.zip</CityArt>
    <FlagArt>../Base City Map/FlagArt/Flags.zip</FlagArt>
    <NewsArt>../Base City Map/NewsArt/News.zip</NewsArt>
    <AILogos>../Base City Map/AILogos/AILogos.zip</AILogos>

Is there a <DYK> or <DidYouKnow> tag that I need to add to this?  I don't see such an option in the Mod Tool's Map Data Tools section, or the Mod Data Tools section for that matter (I remain a bit confused over the dividing line for what requires a mod versus what can be done in a map).

I'm hoping it is possible as it seems like a cool feature to have the Did You Knows focus on companies from the area that the map covers.  But if not, that would also be good to be aware of.
(02-26-2024, 12:35 PM)JC_Denton Wrote: However, the "Mod Data Tool" page doesn't exist (should there be an FBS entry for completing those unfinished wiki pages?).  In my MapFileForGame.xml, I have:

I'm supposed to be working on the manual every Mondays, but between the artwork never materializing and bug fixes, GearCity/2nd Gear has been sucking too much time away from AeroMogul, and the opportunity costs are too great. If we can ever get the artwork back on track, I could devote a little bit of time every week to finishing the manual. (Because the bulk of FBS funds would be going to artwork which requires very little from me.)

Since I'm currently working on yet another 2nd Gear bug fix update this week, I'll take a look at this for you and report back. As far as I recall, you need to have a mod file AND a map file for this. It's not specific to the map but an overrider in the mod files. I'll check it out once I clear game bugs and report back. Looking at my bug list, it will probably be tomorrow evening when I can get an answer.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
That makes sense re: 2nd Gear/AeroMogul being higher priorities. I'm not sure if anyone else is really making use of the modding wiki; I'm hoping maybe my creations here can help prime the pump with that, but we'll see. (And yeah, I should probably get them sorted on Steam eventually, first I need to create the map-file-for-mod-tools from my map-file-from-game as I've just been creating the for-game one and editing XML files or, more often, auto-generating them from a database of statistics that I've created)

And no hurry, I have plenty of other things to keep me busy. (ponders) Hmm, maybe I'll have a DYK mod for an eventual North American map collection, while also allowing the maps to be used as standalones. I like the standalone maps because it doesn't require switching mods in the Video Settings Editor, just choosing the map from the main menu.
It seems like dyk mod loading is missing from the code. I made a note to fix that with the next GC/2ndG updates. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski