Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failing tax audits
Something new has been happening in my current game - I've been failing tax audits.  The first time it was a minor annoyance, this time it cost $100 million.  But I'm not sure why... is this just a random event?  I haven't been doing any lobbying, so as far as I know I should have been paying all my taxes.  Did I just get some Madoff types in my accounting department?

Also perhaps of note, that $106M tax payment/penalty doesn't show up on the Monthly Report, as One-Time Expenses or otherwise.  I had a save from the previous month and could thus verify that the amount was deducted from the bank account, but it should probably show up as an expense, too.

On the plus side, at least we noticed before we got fined an even larger amount...
If memory serves me, it's a random event based on your administration skills. If it's not a high priority, I can post the code for it Monday, the next time I boot the GearCity machines. (Currently working on AM in a separate OS which isn't given access to any sensitive data.)

But yes, there is a bit of a random factor for that.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I got a chance to look this up since I had a lot of forum replies this morning and could boot my normal OS.

It is a purely random event. The fine is between 2 to 4 times the taxes you paid. No administration skills influence.

If its any consolation to your bad luck, the fine is pretty light compared to some of the things I've seen the American IRS do.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(09-10-2022, 10:14 AM)Eric.B Wrote: I got a chance to look this up since I had a lot of forum replies this morning and could boot my normal OS.

It is a purely random event. The fine is between 2 to 4 times the taxes you paid. No administration skills influence.

If its any consolation to your bad luck, the fine is pretty light compared to some of the things I've seen the American IRS do.

biggrin I must have just had good fortune in my previous games.  Seems fair, better than having to personally vet everyone in the accounting department, and since it scales with taxes paid, that means I don't have to worry about another $100M fine now that it's the Great Depression and my profits are negative and taxes paid are consequently much lower.