Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[$1500] #300 | Multi-column List Boxes | Requires: #50
Price: $1500

Description: The top complaint about the game is its GUI. When I created the GUI, I had my hands tied behind my back. Our GUI library is missing many features and widgets found in more industrial applications. To be fair, most video game UI libraries miss these tools too.

One sore thumb in our UI library is the lack of Multi-column list boxes or tables. This bounty gives me a second shot at fixing that.

All lists in the game are currently fixed width, mono-space lists. There are no columns. This creates a couple of issues. First, if everything fits in the columns, there is often wasted space. Second, if something doesn't fit inside the allotted space, the columns become misaligned down the rows. Third, you can't adjust column sizes. And finally, the rows are not sortable without an extreme amount of hacked code.

A proper multi-column list box would fix those issues and more.

I attempted to add multi-column list boxes in the past but failed. So this bounty has a higher risk of failure. However, it's been several years since I last tried. During that time, I have become more familiar with the UI library's code after fixing several bugs and issues in the system. And I am probably a better programmer now.

This bounty only adds the feature to the game. It doesn't convert existing lists.

This bounty will reduce Bounty #245 GUI Redesign: Phase #1 by $15,000.

Requirements: #50

Required By: #301, #302

Concerns: This bounty has some risk of failure. Per the FBS rules, if I fail, I will return the bounty fee to the milestone funds. However, I can't return voting points to user accounts.

I am probably not charging enough for this work. It's going to be a real pain in the butt.

Eric's Opinion: The lack of this widget resulted in a major flaw with the game. If I had this feature, it would give me the tools to get the UI from a 30/100 to probably a 50/100. Of course, this bounty alone won't redesign the UI, but it will put one of the tools needed in the engine for when I do.

I have discounted this bounty in the hopes that it gets funded.

Links:  It doesn't happen unless you contribute!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski