Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[$400] #288 | Merge More End Turn Reports
Price: $400

Description: The game can generate several thousand HTML files for use as reports. Many small writes to a hard drive are often slow and inefficient. Several years ago, during development, I came up with a way to merge HTML reports and hide unneeded information. This allowed me to replace many small files with one larger file, thus speeding up turn times.

In that process, I took care of the easiest reports to merge. This bounty would go through the more difficult reports and combine them. Conservatively, the goal is to cut our reports generation time down a 25%. That would roughly improve turn times by 5%.

Requirements: None

Required By: None

Concerns: I might not be able to find 25% gains in our reports system. I have already done this to the worst offenders and the easiest to do. The gains from the rest won't be as good.

Eric's Opinion: This bounty would improve turn times by a minimum of 5% and possibly even more. Report generation is our 3rd worst "chunk" in turn time processing.

The next step is to move some of the data to a flat format like JSON, append new data to it, and read with static pages. That would certainly speed up end turn times but make more lag when reading reports. I am not sure our browser system can handle that much javascript.

Links:  It doesn't happen unless you contribute!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski