Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[$400] #164 | Electric Direct Drive
Price: $400

Description: This bounty adds an Electric Direct Drive gearbox type that you can use on electric motor systems. You do not have to design this gearbox type, it will appear automatically in the vehicle components selection screen.

This gearbox type would have no maximum torque limit since the vehicle's motors power the wheels directly.

We will need additional formulas specifically for this gearbox type. We'll also need a way to limit pairing this gearbox with electric engine designs, such as electrics, hydrogen fuel cells, and hybrid-electric drive.

Requirements: None

Required By: #165, #167

Concerns: Adding formula code specifically for this gearbox type will complicate the vehicle creation formulas.

Eric's Opinion: One of the flaws in the game is that we require you to pair a normal gearbox with an electric engine. This doesn't take advantage of the wide powerbands provided by electric motors. Because of that powerband, real-life EVs directly connect their motors to the wheels without a transmission. The EVs with transmissions often only add 1 or 2 gears. In the game, that would hurt vehicle performance. We will have another bounty to address transmissions specifically designed for electric motors.

Links: It doesn't happen unless you contribute!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski