Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[$200] #313 Drop Windows XP, XP64, Windows Vista, and 32-bit OS X Support
Price: $200

Description: GearCity Classic (1st Gear) runs on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP through 11, Linux, and OS X.

Currently, GearCity: 2nd Gear runs on 64-bit Windows 7 through 11, Linux, and OS X. There are plans to port the game to 32-bit based on polling I did that showed a good percentage of you plan on playing the game on 32-bit systems. Although realistically, according to Steam, only 0.02% played GearCity Classic on a 32-bit system year to date. The 32-bit ports will come when "2nd Gear" is finished and we begin work on "3rd Gear."

This bounty removes XP, Visita, and 32-bit OSX support. These operating systems can not compile using modern versions of C++ that we'll need for future bounties.

Requirements: None

Required By: #314

Concerns: Dropping support for operating systems makes me sad.

Eric's Opinion: I love to support older operating systems. However, some plans I have for improving GearCity performance would require libraries that require C++17. The latest we can get on XP is C++15. Vista does have C++17 support, but I don't own a copy of it, and I don't plan on going out of my way to find a legit copy. Apple removed 32-bit binary support from OS X 4 years ago. The last 32-bit OS X OS is 14 years old. I'm not even sure GearCity classic works on a 32-bit OS X machine.

I would love to drop 32-bit Windows and Linux support, thus reducing my build requirements considerably. But it is still possible to build and support future plans for the game on these Architecture/OS combos. CEF (Chromium) may force my hand on this anyway.

Links: It doesn't happen unless you contribute!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Finished!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski