Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[$600] #147 | DirectX 11 Support | Requires: #146
Price: $600

Description: This bounty adds support for DirectX 11.

Driver vendors are required to implement OpenGL on Windows. On occasion, there are stability issues on some users' machines. That is why we default the 64-bit build of GearCity to DX9-ex on Windows despite being a poorly implemented API.

The DirectX 11 port will become the new default for Windows users.

This should, in theory, fix alt-tab crashing on some users' machines. Allow for dynamic report sizes (resizable reports windows). And allow for turn time processing on minimized windows. IE all the features OpenGL users can enjoy while using Microsoft's 3D API.

Requirements: #146

Required By: #279

Concerns: There is a small probability that this bounty will fail. Although, I am more likely to use the bounty funds to pay for Ogre3D support if I can not solve the issue. I hope I'll work out most of the issues with the OpenGL3 bounty.

The benefits mentioned, "This should, in theory, fix alt-tab crashing on some users' machines. Allow for dynamic report sizes (resizable reports windows). And allow for turn time processing on minimized windows." Remain to be tested. DX11 could very well be more unstable for us than DX9...

Eric's Opinion: This bounty would modernize our rendering systems on Windows. Hopefully, that means better hardware support and fewer crashes. This bounty will obsolete the DX9 renderer. It hopefully will free us from a few issues that occasionally cause us support tickets, returns, and negative reviews.

We'll require this bounty for a modernized shader system for our upgraded vehicle designer.

Links: It doesn't happen unless you contribute!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski