Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the World map is so strange?
Hi, Eric
It looks like the cities DB is quite strange. In-game world is REALLY unrealistic, and with the new cities distribution it becomes even more strange. Why do you ignore even the most populated areas of the world? India, Indonesia, China? I've missed even some strategically important areas in Europe and US. For example, Nordrhein - Westfalen and Ruhr areas in Germany or NOVA aglomeration in the US. Even more, there is no such place as Washington DC. Russia now is just a Great Wasteland. I don't mention about my beloved Siberia - there are no settlements there at all. And with new version Baku is gone. Well done, all those backward azerbaijani still don't use cars. They prefer donkeys and camels. But is it good for your game? 
Of course, with the new Base Map you implemented a possibility to add new cities, and I've already added a bunch of them (about 100) to the game. But I getting tired of permanent map modding. But without it, the game looks unplayable.
Quote:Hi, Eric
It looks like the cities DB is quite strange. In-game world is REALLY unrealistic, and with the new cities distribution it becomes even more strange.
First off, I assume you're talking about "Base City Map". As the old Classical map is still available.
How is it unrealistic? Do these cities not exist?

Quote:Why do you ignore even the most populated areas of the world?
I don't, the number of cities in a country is based off the percentage of vehicles in the world that country. Not by population. Otherwise the game becomes unbalanced with too many Indian and Chinese cities that sell zero cars and have zero car history.

Let's break it down for you:
India: has 1326801576 people, 18 cars per 1000 people, thus 23882428 cars in the nation. Which is 1.72% of the world's cars. In the game they have 6 cities which is 2.93% of the cities in the game.
Indonesia: has 260581100 people, 68 cars per 1000 people, thus 17719514 cars in the nation. Which is 1.28% of the world's cars. In the game they have 3 cities which is 1.46% of the cities in the game.
China: has 1382323332 people, 205 cars per 1000 people, thus 283376283 cars in the nation. Which is 20.43% of the world's cars. In the game they have 16 cities which is 7.80% of the cities in the game.

So of those 3 nations listed, only China is under represented. However one has to consider that China is only an emerging market in the last 20 years or so, and the other 100 years of Automotive history they have been a non-factor. Also they have more people per city than for example US cities. Which would increase their buyer potential roughly in line with the percentage of cars in the world China has. India on the other hand is over represented both in terms of number of cities and in terms of the amount of people per city. They're probably 50% stronger than they need to be in this map.

Quote:I've missed even some strategically important areas in Europe and US. For example, Nordrhein - Westfalen and Ruhr areas in Germany or NOVA aglomeration in the US.
Cologne is in Nordrhein-Westfalen, and is very close to Ruhr.

Richmond and Norfolk are in Virgina, there are no cities in Virgina in Classical Map, nor are there really any industrial or business cities closer to DC in VA. NOVA (Northern Virgina) is not an industry zone, it's suburbs for politicians, lobbyist, media, and the people who serve them working and around Washington DC.

Washington DC has zero industry. It is a purely political city, built specifically to be the nation's capital. There is not a single factory, car dealership, or vehicle branch office in the city.  Baltimore is the Industrial city of that area and it is in the game.

In Ural, Siberia, and Far East has 37,628,000 people or 25% of Russian population, but 76% of the land. Russia only gets 7 cities (3.41%) in this map, because it has 3.03% of the world's cars.  One has to remember, that the populations must work between 1900 and 2020. And when choosing, I'm going to pick a place with historical ties to auto industry. The majority of cities in eastern Russia are small in 1900 and they don't have any ties to the auto industry.

Baku was removed because it was difficult to find correct data for their early populations and per capitas. There is one automotive company in Baku, which is why I added them to the game in the Testing phase of the map. But I found that the city it self did not add much extra to the game, so it was removed.

The goal of "Base City Map" was not to add more cities, but to remove cities that are small at some point in their history, can cause problems for new players, slow down the AI, and don't have major ties to manufacturing or the auto industry.

Quote:But I getting tired of permanent map modding. But without it, the game looks unplayable.
Anyway, I understand you're upset that Eastern Russia was not added in this map. But If you enjoyed Classic Map, you can still play it. There are also 3 other maps you can play. Two of which have no cities, they use pure territories and raw numbers from those areas. There are also more to maps to come, and other will probably make maps as well. You don't have to play Base City Maps if you don't want to.

If you would like the excel sheet of the cars capitas, and number of cities in the game, you can view it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Here is a link to all the cities in the base map, all the real car factories in the world etc: you can view them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ioj7Q2...sp=sharing (Open this link on a computer and not on a tablet/phone with "Google Maps" as it will not properly load)
Blue are real factories.
Red Circles are the 100 largest cities in the world.
Orange are Cities in Classic Map.
Purple are cities in Base City Map.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I forgot to add, if you plan on altering the "Base City Map" files, you should make a new map using the Map Data Tool, otherwise you lose all your changes the next time I update the game.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski