Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which engine do you design in 1900?
(07-24-2016, 12:55 AM)Unavailableartist Wrote: All in all it adds up to be a $440~ sedan that doesn't pass many of the Importance stars, but I think its virtually impossible with some (particularly with fuel efficiency). Set Mid-low (quality, driveablity... and safety I think pass).
In early game years, stars don't matter as much. Being able to build something people can afford is more important. That being said. You should be able to run a profitable company easily with sedans priced up to (and even higher) than ~$2000-$3000 in 1900. Your problem is a different one.

Quote:I usually start in Atlanta. It's close to where I'm from so I figure why not.

If you're only selling vehicles in Atlanta, and not expanding to larger cities in the north, then this is your problem. Atlanta does not have the population in 1900 to support an automanufacturer. Considering a vehicle selling at 2x per capita, you're limiting your self to about 20% of the population that can afford it. (Roughly $100,000 in today's money.)

Atlanta has a population of 80,000 in 1900? Roughly 1 car per 2 people. (A household of 4, with 2 adults ~2 cars.) You're looking at a buying pool of 20,000. A new vehicle is purchased roughly every 5 years. That's 60 months. So 20,000/60 = 333 people per turn looking to buy a vehicle. You're limiting your self to 20% of the market. So 66people. Of those 66 people. Roughly 20 people give or take want a more expensive vehicle than yours. So 46 buyers in the market at your price range. Of those say 20% want a sedan as first or second choice. You're down to 9 people max. Now how many of them buy from you in Atlanta, choose not to buy a vehicle, buy used, or have one shipped from somewhere else? At best you'll get 9 sales per month in Atl.

TLDL, build a branches in New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Baltimore, etc. You know places with people that have lots of money and can afford luxury items like cars in the age before the majority of homes had electric and running water... Wink There is a reason almost all Auto Industry in the US was centered in the Rust Belt. And only the Detroit companies survived.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski

Messages In This Thread
Which engine do you design in 1900? - by Nuvag - 06-11-2016, 03:44 AM
RE: Which engine do you design in 1900? - by Eric.B - 07-25-2016, 12:52 PM