Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GearCity 1.21 Progress Thread
Cleaning up some bugs from 1.20/1.20.1. Will start on 1.20.2 features pretty soon. (Might have to get the dev stuff running on a VM first however.)

-Fixed incorrect cost displayed bug in branch district reconditioning.
-Fixed overlapping fund pension panel in benefits window in the office.
-Fixed bug with race funding lock due to optimizations
-Fixed bug with AI braking distance.
-Fixed bug in Marketing Coverage Report, although this report will be getting redesigned anyway in v1.20.2
-Fixed bug with turnevents.xml buyrate. This bug caused the stockmarket rate to be used with the consumer AI instead of the buyrate.
-Adjusted buyrate numbers. More work will be done to this when mod tools are implemented (lot of work doing it by hand.)
-Fixed bug in Discontinue Model in the mega menu (caused by a missing ' )
-Made some adjustments to the experienced driver effect on "Racing Rating."
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Been a while since I updated progress, but don't worry, I'm still here pumping out code full time 6.25 days a week!

The last 2 weeks have been focused on converting the old sales book to the new html reports system. This means I had to create a number of new systems internally as well an external webpage designs which can be used for these reports.

Work on this is still on going. Currently I have converted the sales, expenses, and revenues sections of the old sales book. I still have to do Charts, Contracts, and some of the Reports.

The new HTML reports have a couple of really good benefits (So far):
1) Tables are now easy to read.
2) Tables in the reports are now sortable!
3) There is now more data in the tables.
4) Pages are somewhat moddable outside of the game.
5) All data is saved thus allowing you to view historical data
6) Data is saved in flat HTML files in a folder. Thus making the data easy to share, print, and view outside the game.
7) All reports are automatically generated every turn.
8) No need to create user generated reports
9) System should be faster than the old system (untested)
10) Save game filesize should be reduced
11) Reduction in the number of Reports without losing data.
12) Everything is cleaned up and better formatted.
13) Works on OSX and Linux with no extra libs.

The only bads I've seen so far with this system:
1) No custom designed reports. Since we're generating all the reports and having them accessible on a webpage, I'll be removing the ability to mix and match and add together reports.
2) Information is not saved in the database, so if you share save games, you will be missing old reports/sales information
3) Saves a lot of little files into a folder every turn (where as the db format is all done in memory.) This might be a bottleneck for very slow harddrives.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
New Charting system has been implemented in the game.

Currently every main report generated has at least 1 chart generated with it. I'm in the process of converting some of the stand alone charts. I'm about half way done with them.

Sadly this new charting system has some limitations, namely no difference charts. However it makes up for it with tool tips, animations, and a bunch of other dynamic features.

I've got a few more main reports and charts to do. Then I need to clean up the page saving features, add some features to the browser (such as back buttons, open in new window, etc.) Then test it all out on Linux/Mac. Then remove the old sales book!

1.20.2 release should be around August 5-10th. I might be able to get it done a little earlier, but any extra time will be put toward finishing up the reports that are located in 'User generated reports system.'
I've finally finished up all the main reports/charts located in the sales book. (Not including the user generated reports which will be added in v1.20.3)

On top of this I worked out the code for deleting reports folders in Windows and *nix as well copying folders in Windows and *nix when you use the Save As function. (This took a while to do... :steamsad: )

Now I will focus on the various bugs submitted to me over the last few days that I have neglected to take care of due to the fact I had to finish the new sales book stuff in order to complete v1.20.2.

1.20.2 is still on track for a release sometime next week. I will make an announcement in the next day or two with an exact date.
So the last few days I cleaned up a few things with the new sales book. All but 4 required reports/charts were ported over to the new system. Those reports will be taken care of with 1.20.3 and the new reports/charts I'll be adding.

I replaced the close button. Added a warning to anyone playing the game in a non-english language file. And fixed a couple more bugs.

-Ported most reports and charts to new system
-Added back and forward buttons to reports
-Added open reports in new window.
-Fixed bugs in Prototype Gearbox, Engine selection without Chassis selected.
-Adjusted and standardized Star generation code from ratings
-Fixed bug in Licensing system when trying to filter chassis by MM
-Fixed bug in World Map view competition which displayed bad overall ratings for competitors vehicles.
-Fixed bug in GUI which caused tiny close buttons on some machines.
-Many reports and chart fixes since it's a new system (however probably new bugs to replace them!)
I've created seven new charts that fill the various World Map's windows. These extend into the Districting and Mega Menu systems as well. These charts show historical production and inventory levels of factories (and districts.) Historical and Current Sales of your vehicles, other company's vehicles, other companies as a whole, as well as entire car types in a selected city or district. There is also charts for marketing and production lines.

Finally I've implemented one last, extremely important chart. It's the Wealth Distribution chart. This chart will take your current sales price (or the price you enter into the text box) and tell you approximately how many maximum customers are interested in a vehicle of that type at that price. The same chart will also show you how many potential customers are in other price segments.

All these charts can be accessed via the new chart button (with a graph line) around the headers of the relevant information. For example Production Charts will be above the Factory Production Line assignment header.

-Factory/District Historical Production and Inventory Chart
-Factory/District Production Line Distribution Chart
-City/District View Competition Historical Sales by Company Chart
-City/District View Vehicle Type Historical Sales Chart
-City/District View Selected Company Historical Sales Chart
-City/District View Selected Vehicle Type Historical Sales Chart
-Branch/District Historical Sales for Player Chart
-Branch/District Historical Competition Sales Chart
-City/District Marketing Pie Chart
-Fixed Gearbox Power Star Ratings in Advance Designer
Been awhile since I updated progress.
1.20.3 is technically ready, however there has been a steady increase of bugs reported the last few days. Not sure if these are regressions as they mostly seem to be issues I fixed at one point or another. So I will spend the next several days taking care of some of these before launching 1.20.3.

Here's some of what we did (not everything is documented, as I didn't ticket all the needed reports/charts)
-Automatic reports/chart generation can be turned on or off individually.
-Reports can now be opened in all "states" in the game. Just click reports in the upper right menu
-A number of charts have been added to the Racing state.
-A monthly report will now automatically come up at the end of each turn. This report is also the default for the salesbook.
-A number of new reports/charts were added to the salesbook
-A very detailed stock report for individual publicly traded companies is now located in the "Safe" state. Look for the Graph button above the list of traded companies.
Last 9 days have mainly focused on finishing the remaining tickets for v1.20.3. I also took the last week to fix a number of bug issues that have been submitted to us over the couple months.

v1.20.3 should be ready to go, I just need to do final builds and play testing.

So what have I done since the last progress update? This is not a complete list, but it's still a long one:
-New Sales Reports default size is now small (1024x512) in case resolution checking fails. (Larger resolutions should still be using 1024x1024 report size.)
-Adjusted marketing's effect on Image ratings. They are now capped to a maximum level of gain.
-Fixed decimal number bug in memos for awarded points in racing series.
-Fixed bug (missing 0 in the decimal places) in the random factor for buying population pool. This bug fixes two other issues which I will detail next...
-Fixed extreme monthly demand fluctuation bug.
-Fixed bug that caused too many consumers purchasing vehicles, thus making the game very easy even on hard levels.
-Adjusted easy, normal, and hard buying and money population sliders.
-Reimplemented over priced vehicle checks.
-Fixed bug in AI vehicle pricing causing prices to be twice as high as normal
-Adjusted AI vehicle pricing to be more aggressive.
-Fixed bug that could allow for you to win all races but lose the season.
-Changed all leather buttons and most grey buttons to new brown button that is easily scaleable.
-Added Warning message when deleting save games. If you have a lot of reports, it may take a while to delete them all.
-Added a flag for AI racing cars to prevent them from selling them to the general public. This should reduce the number of hyper expensive cars and the glut of sports cars late in the game.
-Fixed bug in Software mouse mode that caused the mouse to move while scrolling.
-Fixed bug in Acquisition/Merger code that would duplicate stock in holding list if you already owned them, or they owned you.
-AI will now upgrade factories rather than build new ones if certain criteria is met.
-AI spun off companies will now take their vehicle models and components with them.
-Fixed another bond exploit if you start a 1980's game, take out a loan, return to main menu, start a 1900 game, the bond value will be at 1980's level.
-Fixed a bug that caused wholly owned subsidiaries to be worth more spun off than being purchased for on the same turn.
-Fixed bug where duplicate companies can buy a single company
-Possible fix to an owned company building a vehicle with it's own AI rather than parent's, thus causing the game to crash.
-Added fuel type popularity to body type demand report.

That's what I have on my list. I'm sure quite a few other things were changed when I came across them.

1.20.3 comes out on the 6th. I'll do some play testing between now and then, and we'll see if I can squash any more bugs!
Released a hotpatch for v1.20.3 today, with the following changes:
-Fixed missing branch expenses when no vehicles were for sale.
-Fixed bad insert commas in Employee Breakdown Report Header.
-Fixed incorrect placement of Engineering and Administrative headers in Employee Breakdown list.
-Added a 404 page for missing reports/charts/pages. (Will require starting a new game, but after which should work on all old save games.)
-Fixed missing reserves in Monthly Report if no vehicles were being produced.
-Fixed bug in Advance Game Settings: Start Game with Loan.
-Increased report lists to 25 entries and removed the drop down box (since it did not work, and prospects of making it work is/was slim.)
-Fixed Randomness calculations in the Wealth Distribution Charts.
-Fixed bad insert commas in Marketing Expense Report Headers.
-Reworded 'Cost of Delivery' to 'Total Delivery Cost' as that's the dictionary term.
-Added a Auto-hiding Side Panel to all states in game.
-Added listing of components/vehicles currently being researched to Side Panel.
-Added Factories under construction to the Side Panel.
Hello again everyone!

Sorry for the silence on the progress thread and delayed replies over the last week. I had to visit family members and take care of some issues on the other side of the continent. Hopefully I won't have to go back again for a long while.

In any event I was able to do some work on my laptop during the down times. Unfortunately I'm not very productive hunched over using a low resolution monitor, chiclet keyboard, and a trackpad.... I'm not sure how some of you use a laptop as your primary machine. Give me an IBM M and a trackball anyday. Wink

I digress.

I was able to finish the side information panel. I've added an action history to the side panel. This will show you your 25 most recent actions. For example, you sell a stock. It shows up on the list. You change production lines, it shows up on the list... This system implements more details in the background. That information will be used for a historical timeline of your company in the future.

Next I merged the Memo system into one window. No longer will you have a popup window for messages. This simplifies the memo system.

Then I added a memo for new branch openings by the AI in areas in which you already have a branch.

I also took care of a number of bugs in the reports system, and a couple other bugs. Unfortunately I was unable to access my ticketing system while I was out of office. (My laptop uses Windows, and I minimize my online interaction using Windows. IE no banking, Accessing code/ticketing system, or using javascript outside of a handful of sites.) So I was unable to keep a good record of the bugs I fixed. None the less, most were minor and unreported.

Finally, when I got home today I was able to re-go through all post and emails sent to me the last week. Ticket them and started working on them. I will spend the next few days taking care of these issues before switching over to the newspaper and HR redesign.

-Side Panel Recent Actions List
-Saved Notable Historical Actions by your company
-Simplified Memo System by merging memo content into the same window as the list of memos.
-Fixed Dividend Revenues in OEM parts revenues
-Fixed number of caster issues
-Memo Notification when AI opens branch at your branch locations
-Added X to close button. Fixed scaling issues with top menu buttons.
-Fixed AI factory upgrade monthly costs buffer overflow causing broken late games in v1.20.3.