Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy Games to develope
(03-31-2015, 02:10 AM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: Semantics, I sure as hell didn't mean for you to put out dozzends of small DLC's for $50 each.
TBH, I didn't realise there was a distinction between "DLC" and "Expansion Pack".

There is actually a big difference: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/question...le-content

DLC is normally considered to be small individual content updates. For example in Crusader Kings 2, Mongolians are in the game, but you have to pay $5 to make the character portraits look Mongolian instead of Arab. If you want the armor to look more Mongolian, well you have to pay $2 for an Armor texture. And if you want to play Mongolians you have to buy another DLC for $15....

This is the kind of DLC I am against. In GearCity this would be equivalent to car packs. In something like Automation it's entire segments of the industry such as diesel engines! Content that alone should be in the game because it's not difficult to add or is core to the game. Yet people in the industry have no problem charging money for it.

These days Expansion Packs are rare. Large DLCs or DLC bundles could be considered expansion packs. But if you have the ability to buy pieces then personally I don't consider them to be so.

So what is an Expansion Pack? To me an Expansion Pack is a single sku, priced at or below the base content, that expands upon the game play AND provides as much or a lot more additional content. For us this means an additional 10-15 vehicle types, ability to drive cars, multiplayer game play, among a few other things. It will have to be enough stuff that I would feel comfortable enough boxing it up and selling it stand-alone in a retail store. And to me that's the difference.

Not really semantics. Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski

Messages In This Thread
Easy Games to develope - by Technotron3 - 03-28-2015, 03:18 PM
RE: Easy Games to develope - by shadow - 03-29-2015, 03:43 AM
RE: Easy Games to develope - by Frankschtaldt - 03-30-2015, 03:00 AM
RE: Easy Games to develope - by shadow - 03-30-2015, 06:18 AM
RE: Easy Games to develope - by Eric.B - 03-30-2015, 11:00 PM
RE: Easy Games to develope - by Frankschtaldt - 03-31-2015, 02:10 AM
RE: Easy Games to develope - by Eric.B - 03-31-2015, 09:43 AM
RE: Easy Games to develope - by JPK - 11-08-2015, 03:56 PM
RE: Easy Games to develope - by Eric.B - 11-08-2015, 11:49 PM
RE: Easy Games to develope - by ANiChowy - 04-05-2022, 05:55 PM