Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
long time player/first time poster/thoughts for Eric
Followed forum and dev updates (albeit infrequently) for a while now but never really commented, just some general thoughts.

- You've created a brilliant game. The comments below are purely constructive. Whether there's action or not on the stuff below, I personally consider GC fun to play. So considering you've dev'd it on your own, well done and congrats.

- Mouse issues. The current updates suggests "mouse lag fixed" in the log. I'm not sure what that actually refers to, but mouse performance for me is quite frustrating for two reasons. For clarity I play GC on a windows7 (64bit, SP1) laptop using the chassis touchpad as mouse. First mouse takes 4,5 finger replacements to move across the GC UI that doesn't match my windows settings (As in, moving finger fully from left to right moves mouse pointer ~20% of the screen.) It's just quite slow and frustrating.

- Custom reports. Why? I hope these can some how make it into a standard option in the reports. I just don't get why there's the effort of making them "custom" and not just preseted as standard. It could of course be beneficial to people wanting to compare certain aspects, but I wish some of the information within I didn't have to go particularly hunting for. Lazy I guess, I'd be interested to know if people agree

- Further to mouse issues, the pointer is trapped for me withing the GC Window. I actually have to CtrlAltDel if I want to multitask within the OS. Want to stop GC for a second and use the internet? Well my mouse is trapped so I can't click Start or use desktop, CtrlAltDel for me is genuinely the only option.

- Contracts/Fleets a very welcome and well worked addition. Curious to see if I can make a company out of just contracting parts.

- Also personally very welcomed is the improvement to clickable wheels while designing cars. Originally I struggled so much placing axles/wheels on cars that I just didn't bother designing the look of the car. I couldn't do it so just ignored it. Clickable tire placement seems to work now, so thank you for that.

- AI business performance I think is usually spot on compared to selected difficulty.

- Competitor prices. It would be genuinely beneficial to make it easier to understand how much competitors are selling their models for. I admit I may have missed a report (or magazine section?) that gives you this. Just wish it was a bit easier to find.

Anyway, congratulations again on GearCity, I hope it turns out to be everything you want it to be.
(11-15-2014, 07:48 PM)cavjj Wrote: Followed forum and dev updates (albeit infrequently) for a while now but never really commented, just some general thoughts.
Hello there, I'll break up your comments for my replies, and don't worry I understand the criticism and I'm grateful for it. It's the only way to improve the product!

Quote:- Mouse issues. The current updates suggests "mouse lag fixed" in the log. I'm not sure what that actually refers to, but mouse performance for me is quite frustrating for two reasons. For clarity I play GC on a windows7 (64bit, SP1) laptop using the chassis touchpad as mouse. First mouse takes 4,5 finger replacements to move across the GC UI that doesn't match my windows settings (As in, moving finger fully from left to right moves mouse pointer ~20% of the screen.) It's just quite slow and frustrating.

The fixes to mouse lag is a different issue than what you're having. This refers to people who were playing the game at higher resolutions than 1080p. When playing these high resolutions the mouse would become extremely unresponsive and clicks would not register, making the game impossible to play.

Your issue is with mouse sensitivity. This is because the game uses what is called a software mouse. It is completely different than what you experience in windows because windows uses what is called a hardware mouse. The software mouse is like an emulated mouse (if you understand that term from like Super Nintendo emulators.)

Because of this the mouse will be slower because we do not match and can not match the hardware mouse. We have to emulate it.

There are ways to make a hardware mouse work in game, however they are a royal pain in the rear and would cause other issues with the game. So it is a pick your poison issue.

We will probably bump up sensitivity now that the issues with mouse lag have been improved. (In the mean time make sure your mouse sensitivity settings are on full in the settings window)

Quote:- Custom reports. Why? I hope these can some how make it into a standard option in the reports. I just don't get why there's the effort of making them "custom" and not just preseted as standard. It could of course be beneficial to people wanting to compare certain aspects, but I wish some of the information within I didn't have to go particularly hunting for. Lazy I guess, I'd be interested to know if people agree

Mainly because many people wanted many different reports than we had room for. There is no other good way than to allow people to mix and match reports. The other option is to have a window with about 50 reports all generating at every turn (which would slow down turn times.)

That being said, if you're super lazy. Outside the basic reports we have already listed in the sales book, you can use the "Simple Monthly Report" listed in the custom reports. That'll have just about everything you'd want wrapped up in one report. Make it an "End of the Month" report and tada, you don't have to touch anymore reports other than to look up body style demands or image ratings.

I may eventually make this one report a report listed in the sales book so it's quicker to get to and set.

Quote:- Further to mouse issues, the pointer is trapped for me withing the GC Window. I actually have to CtrlAltDel if I want to multitask within the OS. Want to stop GC for a second and use the internet? Well my mouse is trapped so I can't click Start or use desktop, CtrlAltDel for me is genuinely the only option.

This is how most games work, mouse capture is important for scrolling the world map...

Alt-tab is the hot key you want to use, not ctrl-alt-delete. Alt-tab is how you cycle through windows. It will also unlock the mouse on every major operating system.

Quote:- Contracts/Fleets a very welcome and well worked addition. Curious to see if I can make a company out of just contracting parts.

Between that and the RnD contracts you should be able to. The RnD contracts are getting some work done to them in 1.18 to make them even better!

Quote:- Competitor prices. It would be genuinely beneficial to make it easier to understand how much competitors are selling their models for. I admit I may have missed a report (or magazine section?) that gives you this. Just wish it was a bit easier to find.
In the world map click a city, then click "Competition" this will show you a list of all the vehicles being sold in that city and their prices.

We'll be adding this feature to the megamenu soon. (Probably 1.16.5)

Quote:Anyway, congratulations again on GearCity, I hope it turns out to be everything you want it to be.
More importantly, I hope you all enjoy the game and get your money's worth. I'm more than pleased with the game as it is now. It's better than I ever expected I could do.

Thanks again!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski