Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WONT]Factories: making "lines" independant of sliders
Thereww's been a number of suggestions around factories and Eric has said he will be applying some of the channges. So i just had this idea that I thought I'd put forward for consideration as part of the changes.

I propose that the number of lines a factory has be removed froom the size slider entirely.
So, the player simply enters how many lines they want their factory to have and the size slider controls how big those lines are.
I honestly think re-tooling is a bit over stretched.
having worked in a factory for a few years , I have never known my company spend
2 to 4 million on re-tooling never mind 30 odd.
and certainly not every year or so.
While that has almost nothing to do with my post, I totally agree.
Perhaps you should start a new thread with some ideas on the topic.
Correct me if I'm wrong. But if I limit you on the number of lines you can manually enter. For example 0-20. Wouldn't that be the same thing as having a slider?
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Yes and no. You would still limit the maximum factory size but you would give players greater freedom to build their factories the way they want then:
1) Players could choose to have many small lines or fewer large lines to achieve the same output. Fewer small lines should be less efficient in a cost per vehicle built sense but they give you finer granularity in vehicles produced and make it possible to produce a greater number of different models in a single factory.
2) Retooling wouldn't give you extra lines. I understand retooling increasing factory efficiency and output but for it to add extra production lines makes no sense to me at all.
3) When resizing facilities. Players would have the option to simply add more lines without having to play with the sliders. Or they could do the opposite, or both.
4) This is a bit of a tangent, but is related. Shouldn't a factory that is in the process of being resized have significantly reduced production during the resize? Seems only logical that the vast changes to machinery required to significantly increase the size and tech level of production lines would be disruptive to production. Just adding new lines shouldn't disrupt production in this way but it doesn't give any efficiency gains like moving the sliders would.