Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employee education
Any manager worth their salt will tell you that a companies most valuable asset is its staff and that investing in your workers will almost always yield the best long term return for your company.
I've been playing a game in Indonesia where I am making ludicrously high quality and high priced performance cars and luxury cars and selling them all over the world and I've noticed that the skill of my workers doesn't appear to have improved at all. After 30 odd years of making the most complex cars in the world the labour skill in my home city is still only half a star..... 0_o

Now, I don't think just plonking a factory down in a city and making expensive cars there should automatically improve the skills of the workers in that city (though it would likely have some effect over time) but I do think there should be a way for the player to actively improve workers skills.

I suggest introducing a training program that will allow you to allocate a budget (on a city by city basis) to improve the skills of your factory workers, branch employees and marketing staff. (I don't know if the latter two have skills levels in the game atm but it would make sense that educating them on how to sell your cars would both cost money and give benefit). This should have a direct and significant (if you spend enough) effect of the skill of your own workers whilst also slowly improving the average rating of the workers in the cities you're doing the training. After all, some of your educated employees will take the skills you taught them and go work elsewhere, potentially passing some of that knowledge on and generally improving the worker skill level in that area. Hell, it could even have a smaller effect on neighbouring cities as well.
Sounds like a great idea, Frank. And I reckon this shouldn't be that hard to implement (it wouldn't have to be terribly complex, would it?). I would envision this to be similar to the research expenses slider with an effect over time that depends on the amount of money invested.
This has been brought up before. I've been pretty against it because it adds another layer of stuff that has no home in the GUI. Maybe it belongs in HR?

Your factory should tweak labor skills by a very minor amount per year (like 0.025%). Perhaps I should increase the amounts that it effects so that you get more noticeable results? 1.14.8 is going to have a little bit of balancing work, I'll fiddle with those base numbers at some point then.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski