Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configuring the branch limit?
Is it possible to do this?  I don't think it is, but might just be missing it.

I've been adding more cities to my map, and noticed it's scaling.  So far my calculations show (city / branch limit = cities per branch-limit):

69 / 3 = 23
206 / 7 = 29.43
248 / 8 = 31
269 / 9 = 29.89

So I'm guessing it's somewhere around every 32 cities, the limit increases by 1.  Which seems reasonable, but I'd kind of like to set a hard limit in my mod of, say, 8 branches.  When I had 248 cities, spread across England, Wales, France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, and Belgium, 8 branches per year led to a nice gradual spreading of companies across countries, and made it quite relevant when a company bought another company with branches in a different area.  But by the time I add Germany, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, and Scandinavia, the limit will probably be something like 16, and then it will be possible to build across Western Europe before 1920, if sales are sufficient.

This is probably a "is it possible to add this as a Feature Bounty item?" question.  Definitely not critical, I am probably going to max out in the 280's this year and probably will vote for a few other items first, but if we still have bounties in late '23 or 24, I may vote for it, more likely if custom/larger maps are seeing decent player counts.

---

I'll also note that I've been pleased with how the branch limit mechanic has worked on my Europe map.  On the base map, I could grab 35 cities over 5 years and have most of the profitable ones covered, at least once shipping costs were factored in.  But in Europe, even if I grabbed nearly all of France with 40 cities over 5 years on this map, I'd still be missing out on all the British and Italian profits.  This also made it feel more important to acquire a few companies, not just for their reputation or factories but for their branches.

Messages In This Thread
Configuring the branch limit? - by JC_Denton - 09-10-2022, 10:29 PM
RE: Configuring the branch limit? - by Eric.B - 09-11-2022, 09:37 AM