Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The feeling about research
(06-15-2016, 12:14 PM)Cerberus23 Wrote: Hey Eric,

one thing that has come to my mind every now and then when i'm about to design a new car and went over to my research guys to ask them:

"Hey guys... is there technology in the future that might be worth waiting for?"

And then i wonder... how could they possibly know?

Quite possibly because it takes several years of work to take a technology from "I've got a great idea" to "I could actually use this technology and not have it explode in my face." And, in most cases, commercial manufacturers aren't doing research (inventing new technologies) so much as development (taking new technology and putting it to work). So, as a person who's made a living inventing things, I find the research screen pretty credible.

What's annoying (but extremely credible) is that the research team seem to assume that I've read their memos. It'd be wonderful if they learned to make the research area a little more welcoming, and to say "Here are some technologies / vehicle designs that we acquired recently, but haven't used yet." Of course, if they did that, then they'd probably be rather annoyingly reminding me about various technologies and layouts that I'm not interested in, but I'm sure I'd eventually work out how to tell them to shut up. And scientists do like to nag.

Messages In This Thread
The feeling about research - by Cerberus23 - 06-15-2016, 12:14 PM
RE: The feeling about research - by Eric.B - 06-15-2016, 03:10 PM
RE: The feeling about research - by Cerberus23 - 06-16-2016, 06:47 AM
RE: The feeling about research - by Cerberus23 - 06-17-2016, 06:59 AM
RE: The feeling about research - by Eric.B - 06-17-2016, 05:29 PM
RE: The feeling about research - by BlueOrange - 12-31-2016, 08:16 PM
RE: The feeling about research - by Eric.B - 01-01-2017, 12:25 AM