Visual Entertainment and Technologies Forum

Full Version: [FIXED] Fifteen cylinder engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So there have been plenty of 7, 9 and even some 11 cylinder single row Radials, but I haven't found anything about one with 15 cylinders.

Do you know of any such engine? Or why 15 was implemented in the game but not 11?

I know I can mod a different number of cylinders for the game, I'm just curious about the real world influence on this decision.

Best regards
15 cylinders can be used in a W configuration. And W's are a bit more common in automobiles. Radials are rarely used in automobiles. Most technologies in the game center around automobile tech. We'll need bounty #42 to be funded before I start making more specific airplane or ship technologies in the game.

https://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php?id=g...#cylinders
As the wiki states and a quick ingame check confirms, I can build 12 and 18 cylinder Ws but no 15 cylinder ones. But I can build a 15 cylinder Radial, and yes I noticed that during an aircraft contract.

While we're on the topic of the wiki, the gearbox comfort rating, as in having a reverse for example, probably shouldn't detract from a vehicles drivability as in the stated formula: https://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php?id=g...iveability
Probably a typo in the wiki I guess, it just irks me.

Thank you for your answer and time spent developing this game.
OK, I read you wrong originally. I thought you were asking why there were 15 Cylinder Radials but no 11.

Quote:As the wiki states and a quick ingame check confirms, I can build 12 and 18 cylinder Ws but no 15 cylinder ones.
It's interesting that there are no W15s in the game. I will check the components file to see if they're paired together.

Quote:While we're on the topic of the wiki, the gearbox comfort rating, as in having a reverse for example, probably shouldn't detract from a vehicles drivability as in the stated formula: https://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php?id=g...iveability
Probably a typo in the wiki I guess, it just irks me.

You linked vehicle driveability, which is handling. Reverse is not a factor in handling. The gearbox comfort rating has a minor affect on handling. Performance gearboxes are rarely smooth and easy to operate. Smooth gearboxes often aren't geared toward keeping maximum traction on the road.
Ah interesting, I guess I got confused from the toopltip for "Smoothness" in the gearbox designer, that states smoothness increases performance.

[Image: gear-Smoothness.png]

So performance unequal driveability, that makes sense since these are different vehicle ratings. So smoothness shouldn't increase performance, but I still believe it should increase driveability in the sense of "reducing driving difficulty".

And it seems that the gearbox comfort/smoothness/shifting ease doesn't have any effect on the vehicle performance rating, only the gearbox performance rating has. At least if the formulas on the wiki are up to date.
I believe at one point, the smoothness values affected gearbox performance.

I don't have the code or game in front of me, so I can't confirm current or past formulas.

Driveability is handling, not ease of handling, but performance-oriented handling. Think of a race car, like F1 or IndyCar, where the torque applied by the transmissions can easily spin the car out. And not like a modern car with traction control, which would make the vehicle easier to drive and better handling in most consumers' hands, but not in the hands of a professional.

All ratings in the game really need to be remixed and revamped. That's part of the efforts of the FBS. Much of this stuff was designed in 2010 / 2011 when the game was much smaller in scale and scope.
Ok makes sense, I feel like the numbers behind the ratings make sense, it's just the wording is less than obvious in some spots.
Thanks for your answers
I plan on adding/revisiting the help buttons when 2nd Gear is finished. I'll put this one on the list to address!
I added 15 Cylinders to the W layout. Changes will be in the next update that I diff the data files. (No idea when that will be.)
Cool!
Just out of curiosity, are you going to remove 15 Cylinders from the Radial layout?
Pages: 1 2