Visual Entertainment and Technologies Forum

Full Version: [$200] #313 Drop Windows XP, XP64, Windows Vista, and 32-bit OS X Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Price: $200

Description: GearCity Classic (1st Gear) runs on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP through 11, Linux, and OS X.

Currently, GearCity: 2nd Gear runs on 64-bit Windows 7 through 11, Linux, and OS X. There are plans to port the game to 32-bit based on polling I did that showed a good percentage of you plan on playing the game on 32-bit systems. Although realistically, according to Steam, only 0.02% played GearCity Classic on a 32-bit system year to date. The 32-bit ports will come when "2nd Gear" is finished and we begin work on "3rd Gear."

This bounty removes XP, Visita, and 32-bit OSX support. These operating systems can not compile using modern versions of C++ that we'll need for future bounties.

Requirements: None

Required By: #314

Concerns: Dropping support for operating systems makes me sad.

Eric's Opinion: I love to support older operating systems. However, some plans I have for improving GearCity performance would require libraries that require C++17. The latest we can get on XP is C++15. Vista does have C++17 support, but I don't own a copy of it, and I don't plan on going out of my way to find a legit copy. Apple removed 32-bit binary support from OS X 4 years ago. The last 32-bit OS X OS is 14 years old. I'm not even sure GearCity classic works on a 32-bit OS X machine.

I would love to drop 32-bit Windows and Linux support, thus reducing my build requirements considerably. But it is still possible to build and support future plans for the game on these Architecture/OS combos. CEF (Chromium) may force my hand on this anyway.

Links: It doesn't happen unless you contribute!
Finished!