Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[FIXED]Some Suggestions
Hi Eric,

I am just playing my first game and I have to say that you have done a fantastic job so far! I am really amazed that you're the making the game for that I have been waiting for about 15 years! Thanks for that!

As I am a fan of real names in a game, I have tried to get to Know all the Ai players real names. I could identify abot 30 per cent of the 200 AI. Some are kind easy to name (AD Cars, Bienz and sea). But I think it is great that it is possible to modify al lot of things in the game. I have allready made a list of real companys (about 250) that I would like to see in my games. It's clear that you won't be able to use real names because of license issues. But as I'm not the best at "software issues", I could not get some new cities that I think are missing in the game.

Some things catched my eye during my first play, soI have also some small suggestions (some from a European view):

1) It would be great, I've you could found own marques. This is what always happend in the business. Best example: Toyota founded Lexus and Scion to have a luxury brand or to have a brand for the US.

2) I think some cities in the year 1900 do not have the right size (for example cities in Australia)

3) I also think that some "car cities" in Europe are missing in 1900 or 1930: Gothenburg (Sweden), Coventry, Bristol (England), Torino (Italy), Hannover (Germany, in the Hannover area are Volkswagen, Hanomag), Bremen (Germany, Borgward, Lloyd, later Mercedes). But also some import cities are not there: Breslau, Danzig, Koenigsberg (1900 Germany - later Poland/Russia). I think there could be some more cities in Cental Europe. I don't know if cities like Andorra or San Marino are necessary.

4) an editor or some detailed infos about editoring (Computer players, cities) would be great (I think you mentioned somewhere that there will be some infos)

5) As I am also a fan of "what if" scenarios, a "sandbox" mode would be great: Play scenarios without war of without chancing borders or iron curtain in Europe.

6) A small issue: I think the numbers of gears, that can be choosen while building a gearbox in 1900 a too high (8!). The number of possible gears should get higher in later years.

So, these are me first suggestions. But once again, a really great game allready in beta modus!
All of the AI in the game are based off real companies. I'm only up to H, which is about 300AI (there is only ~200AI in the game right now.) Eventually I believe there will be roughly 500-600 AI companies. Most computers probably won't be able to handle that many. :|

I would love to use real Company names and logos, but you're correct. Trademark laws would prevent me from doing that.

The good news is all the AI data is in XML, should be easy for people to mod it if they want. I may even make some tools to do it in the future.

1) This has been brought up before. I need to figure out how to work it in.

2) All city populations have been sourced from wikipedia and books written in the time period. Australian populations should be some of the more accurate data since most of my sources were British.

3) Please add the cities to this thread: http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=346 So I don't miss them when I close off the city adding stuff.

4) Before retail release, I will make a wiki page for modding the game. I'll also probably make some tools to make editing some of the xml files easier. I'd like to see the game develop around the mod community. If sales justify the expansion should complete the game with stuff the mod community can't do, such as multiplayer, driving, etc.

5) I've been considering opening up some more settings to the user such as enabling/disabling wars, random events, etc. And making sliders so that people can adjust buying populations etc.

If this happens it'll be closer toward the game being finished.

As far as scenarios. This would be something to do for the expansion pack.

6) 1.11 Deals with this issue. You'll have to become really good at designing gearboxes or wait a long time before you unlock 8 gears. Wink

Glad you enjoy the game, feel free to give us more feedback or just chat around!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(01-10-2014, 12:55 PM)Eric.B Wrote: 2) All city populations have been sourced from wikipedia and books written in the time period. Australian populations should be some of the more accurate data since most of my sources were British.

Yes, you're right. Couldn't believe that Australian cities were so big in 1900. Sorry to all Aussies Smile
With the implementation of 1) I'm marking this thread as Fixed.

3) Has its own thread.

4) Will come before retail, not sooner because I want to finish things game side before releasing mod tools/wiki

5) Should get its own thread, but this won't be implemented until retail. Some may spill over into expansion.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski